  1. Can anyone tell me any difference(s) between ZyXEL P-660HW-D and P-660HW-T?

    Thanks for any pointers or advice.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Sep 6, 2009

  2. Anthony R. Gold

    Dave N Guest

    Anthony R. Gold wrote, on 06/09/09 11:10:
    The only place I've ever found where they are described, is on the
    datasheet for the T1 model, where different models are specified very
    briefly on the 2nd page, lower RHS. The datasheet *seems* to be a
    generic flyer for all 660HW models:-

    === quote ===
    Product Description
    P-660HW-T1 802.11g Wireless ADSL2+ 4-port
    Gateway over POTS
    P-660HW-T3 802.11g Wireless ADSL2+ 4-port
    Gateway over ISDN/U-R2
    P-660HW-T1 v2 802.11g Wireless ADSL2+ 4-port
    Gateway over POTS
    P-660HW-T3 v2 802.11g Wireless ADSL2+ 4-port
    Gateway over ISDN/U-R2
    P-660HW-D1** 802.11g Wireless ADSL2+ 4-port
    Gateway over POTS
    P-660HW-D3** 802.11g Wireless ADSL2+ 4-port
    Gateway over ISDN/U-R2
    P-660HW-D1 v2 802.11g Wireless ADSL2+ 4-port
    Gateway over POTS
    P-660HW-D3 v2 802.11g Wireless ADSL2+ 4-port
    Gateway over ISDN/U-R2

    ** When the Wireless g+ SuperSpeed technology is enabled, the
    theoretical data rate can reach up to 125 Mbps among Wireless g+
    SuperSpeed-enabled access points and clients. Actual performance may
    vary depending on different operating environments.
    === end-quote ===

    So, the direct answer to your question appears to be that the 66HW-D
    models incorporate "g+ SuperSpeed" wireless technology which may or may
    not be the same as 802.11n. I don't know 'cos I have the T1 model.

    You can download datasheets for all variations of 660HW models direct
    from Zyxel in China, at this URL:-

    http://www.zyxel.com/web/support_do...0060420160946,420060420161739,420060816160116

    (http://tinyurl.com/lelfww)

    Dave N, Sep 6, 2009

  3. Many thanks for those pointers and as you say, the D1 does show those three
    asterisks but, asterisks apart, I still can not detect any differences.

    The problem is that those two links for D1 and T1 datasheets both retrieve
    the identical ZyXEL document number 65-100-006606G dated 03/07 that says
    the subject device has g+. And anyway I don't even need g+.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Sep 6, 2009
  4. Anthony R. Gold

    Dave N Guest

    Anthony R. Gold wrote, on 06/09/2009 14:10:
    Have you looked through the User Guides (11MB!) for each of the
    different models? They might explain some of the detail differences:-

    http://tinyurl.com/3cxv57

    Dave N, Sep 6, 2009
  5. Thanks and they are indeed huge! A quick peeks shows the D1 manual has a
    later date and mentions WPA2, the T1 an earlier date and with no mention of
    WPA2, so I infer the D1 is newer and better. BTW in neither manual could I
    find any mentions of g+ by name or in terms of an increased wireless speed.

    Thanks for your help.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Sep 6, 2009
  6. Be wary of Zyxel user guides. Some of the ones I have seen are sloppy
    cut-and-paste jobs from other user guides, describing some features that are
    not available on the unit in question, while omitting some which are.

    There are also masses of things you might need to know, such as details of lots
    of telnet commands, which I haven't seen in any user guide I've looked at so
    far. Some of these are summarised in table form in PDFs enclosed with some (but
    not all) firmware releases, marked "confidential", and the details of many
    commands don't appear to be documented anywhere that I have seen.

    Alfred E Neuman, Sep 6, 2009
  7. Anthony R. Gold

    Bob Eager Guest

    I have the P660R-D1. The user guide also covers the P660R-H, which is the 4
    port version. The user guide covers both, and there's a table (easily
    missed) near the front where one can see which features are in each model.
    There's a lot of stuff that's in the -H but not the -R, and rather less
    that's in the -R but not in the -H.
    I agree. If you download the 'release notes' you'll always get the latest
    version of those commands, but it is just a table.

    Generally, the commands are pretty obvious; they correspond closely to the
    documented SMT menu items in the normal telnet interface (now dropped for
    lack of memory, apparently). But ? will get a list, and if you type a
    command followed by ?, you'll get a list of subcommands - and so on. Bit of
    a maze though.

    Bob Eager, Sep 6, 2009
  8. Anthony R. Gold

    Dave N Guest

    Swifty wrote, on 06/09/2009 19:33:
    Indeed, I have the T1 (original, not v2) which also claims in the menus
    to do WPA2. I haven't yet checked that for myself since an old laptop
    we have can't be upgraded to WPA2 but I can confirm that WPA-PSK works
    as expected. I don't think that it was enabled through a firmware
    upgrade since WPA2 is mentioned in the Appendix to the User Guide (see
    below). Nevertheless, to be complete I am using version 340AC17.5CO of
    the firmware which I got via Zyxel UK's (IIRC) web site under downloads
    for "legacy" models, and the comment in the readme file should be noted
    carefully:-

    ===== quote =====
    This firmware fixes the problem were you cant connected wirelessly when
    your router has a security\network.

    This is normally a problem for Dell and Macs, but can also affect other
    new laptops with the latest wireless cards.

    Please not that you will have to have 340ACI7C0 uploaded to your router
    before this firmware will work. You can download it from our website
    ===== end-quote =====

    The User Guide for the 660HW-T1 only speaks about WPA-PSK in the
    wireless setup section but if you look at Appendix A (Specifications) it
    does show the capability as "WPA(2), WPA(2)-PSK".

    As Alfred Neuman commented, the User Guides do leave an impression of
    having been cobbled together in a bit of a rush using bits from old
    versions and consequently inconsistent with the actual specification.

    Dave N, Sep 6, 2009