    Are there any other obvious choices in the region of £45 ? Wi-Fi is not
    necessary and cannot be included in the router.

    Thanks

    Kev, Oct 8, 2006

  2. Kev wrote in
    :
    I can certainyl recommend the DG834 and its various wireless cousins the G,
    GT and PN. It's easy to set up: in many cases it autodetects the VPI/VCI,
    encapsulation and multiplexing. It has a good log (which can be emailed each
    day is required) so there's good information about why a connection has
    failed.

    I've run GRC's ProbeMyPorts and found that all the ports are stealthed -
    unless you set up specific port-forwarding rules, of course!

    My DG834GT works perfectly well at 8Mbps. I presume the basic DG834 can do
    this too - either with the built-in firmware or after a firmware upgrade.

    I wonder whether it might be worth you considering a router with a wireless
    access point built in (eg the DG834G), but to turn the wireless off since
    it's not needed at present. That way, you've got a router which has the
    capability of supporting wireless if this is needed in the future. Probably
    cheaper than buying a wireless AP later on.

    Martin Underwood, Oct 8, 2006

  3. Kev

    Kev Guest

    <snip>

    Thanks for the response. Are you satisified with the UI ? Looks a bit
    weird (and uncomprehensive) to me compared with, say, the Draytek offering.
    I don't want to hear from anyone who can do 8Mb/s thanks ;-)
    I've been using a Draytek 2600 plus on the other line and that's been a top
    router and I've already added an AP but it's hardly ever on. I'd consider
    letting the next router have wifi built in but I'd need to know that not
    only was it not talking but also that it was not even emitting any radio
    waves. May sound strange to some but that's what I want !

    Kev, Oct 8, 2006