Zyxel P660HW - reboot problems

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Roger Morton, Jan 4, 2008.

  1. Roger Morton

    Roger Morton Guest

    Hi

    Just acquired this gadget. It's been rebooting itself once or twice a
    day.

    Initially I thought it was overheating - I had an ATA box sitting on
    top of it. But moving it to a free airflow area didn't improve things.

    Then I noticed the wireless LAN had defaulted to Channel 6, as had some
    other wireless server (not mine) visible on the PC's wireless adapter.
    Changing to Channel 13 seems, touch wood, to have fixed things.

    I've googled on Zyxel reboots - several hits, but not obvious what
    causes there might have been.

    1. Anyone else seen wireless interference cause reboots? How could
    you tell? Is it technically feasible for the router to get so confused
    by the presence of a competing server on the same wireless channel that
    it would just give up and die?

    2. I have firmware V 3.40 (AC1.7). As far as I can make any sense of
    the Zyxel website, that's the latest version for "P-660HW-T1", which is
    how my box is labelled. But there's also a "P660HW-T1 v2", with newer
    (better??) firmware V 3.40(APR.1). And no explanation that I can find
    of the implications of the "v2" (new hardware?), and whether or not I'd
    stand any chance of getting the new firmware to run on what I'm
    guessing is older hardware. Has anyone else got the T-shirt for this
    stuff, please?

    TIA

    Roger Morton, Jan 4, 2008

  2. Roger Morton

    Oldish Git Guest

    Hi Roger,

    Mine is labelled P-600HW-61, so not sure this is the same model,
    but it has been completely stable for a year or more with 5+ other
    local WiFi networks visible at times on various (sometimes changed)
    channels. Firmware is v3.40(PE.11) 05/22/2006, though, so looks
    like your model may have a later revision board.
    A firmware bug in the routine used to deal with channel clashes could
    cause a reboot, freeze, etc., so you may be ok until someone else
    tries using ch13 - worth checking ch13 at the time, if it happens again.
    I assume you've done all the basic security and changed default
    modem password etc? It has great security and logging features,
    if you suspect a wifi hack, so can then use MAC addresses, turn-off
    dhcp and use fixed IPs etc to lock it down a bit harder.

    Cheers,

    Oldish Git, Jan 12, 2008

  3. Roger Morton

    Roger Morton Guest

    Thanks

    It's locked down pretty well, but I'm slowly convincing myself the
    problem is more to do with unreliable WEP, or WAP, sync - 128-bit WEP
    and all the WAP combinations I've tried seem to result in reboots after
    an hour or so. Only the 64-bit WEP that we were using before moving
    home seems to be stable.

    One of the very wierd early symptoms of this, before the router
    reboots, is that the PCs on the WLAN lose internet connectivity. They
    can't even ping the router, which I guess might make sense if they've
    lost security sync; but they *can* still ping each other - the router
    seems to be still forwarding ICMP packets but not responding to them
    itself. That's got me completely foxed.....

    Roger Morton, Jan 12, 2008
  4. Roger Morton

    Dr Teeth Guest

    I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when
    (Roger Morton) opened his gob and said:
    You might as well not bother. I have found Zyxel very responsive and
    I'd give their tech support a shout.

    --
    Cheers,

    Guy