    I tried adding the IP addresses to the Trusted zone and then only allowing
    the program access to the Trusted zone but it didn't work.
    Thanks

    Experienced but Undocumented, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Experienced but Undocumented

    trout Guest

    Free or Pro? Let's just get *that* out of the way.

    trout, Jul 24, 2003

  3. Experienced but Undocumented

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, trout mused:

    | Free or Pro? Let's just get *that* out of the way.

    Indeed. :)

    The latest Pro/Plus has added Rules capability. It might be possible
    there.

    To the OP: What you need to remember is that programs look at specific
    ports. Just because you tell the firewall to only give them access to
    specific *other* ports doesn't mean the programs will look there. For
    example, if a program uses Port 80, but you tell your firewall to only allow
    it access to Port 90 ... it's not going to work unless you can change the
    program to use Port 90 instead of 80.

    mhicaoidh, Jul 24, 2003
  4. Good thoughts. Also, is it possible to allow access only to certain IP
    addresses, rather than ports?
    Thanks
    Graham

    Experienced but Undocumented, Jul 24, 2003
  5. <snipped at this point because I stopped reading>

    I killfile anyone who uses ZoneAlarm.

    Brenadier Jehosephat, Jul 24, 2003
  6. Experienced but Undocumented

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Brian H¹© mused:

    | You ought to change over to Outpost, it is far more flexible.

    With Outpost can one force programs to use ports they are not coded to
    use? If not, how is it more flexible than ZoneAlarm in this case?

    mhicaoidh, Jul 25, 2003
  7. Experienced but Undocumented

    trout Guest

    Again, with the car analogy?

    trout, Jul 25, 2003
  8. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In Brian H¹© <> typed
    ||| Taking a moment's reflection, Brian H¹© mused:
    ||| With Outpost can one force programs to use ports they are not
    ||| coded to use? If not, how is it more flexible than ZoneAlarm in
    ||| this case?
    || Unless the program itself is capable of changes via its options, I
    || doubt very much you will be able to force it to use any port that it
    || isn't preconfigured to use by default.
    || My car isn't amphibious, so I wouldn't even try to drive it into a
    || lake.

    However, I believe it's in everyone's best interest for you to at least try.

    Robert de Brus, Jul 25, 2003
  9. X-No-Archive: Yes

    ||| However, I believe it's in everyone's best interest for you to at
    ||| least try.
    || Why don't you piss off and stop trolling me?

    Just as soon as you stop being a dickhead

    Robert de Brus, Jul 26, 2003
  10. *chuckle*

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

    Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Jul 26, 2003
  11. Rearrange the following:

    1-Freeze
    2-Hell
    3-Over
    4-First
    5-Will.

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

    Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Jul 26, 2003
  12. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD <> typed
    ||| Just as soon as you stop being a dickhead
    || Rearrange the following:
    || 1-Freeze
    || 2-Hell
    || 3-Over
    || 4-First
    || 5-Will.

    Yes, I know :)

    Robert de Brus, Jul 27, 2003
  13. Experienced but Undocumented

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Robert de Brus continued:
    Does that mean you can't do it ?

    slumpy, Jul 27, 2003
  14. I'll see your chuckle and raise you a *snicker*

    not william poaster, Jul 27, 2003
  15. Full Belly Roar with a pair of ROFLMAO's fer back up ...

    UseNet Rules #n:
    No firm info at the present time is available on just what the other UseNet
    Rules #n are. However, at a guess, they include:
    --
    Rule #nonumber: There are no hard-and-fast Rules on UseNet, only Guidelines,
    which are more or less strictly enforced (and differ) from group to group;
    this is why it's generally wise to read any group for a bit before ever
    posting to it.
    Rule #0: *There* *is* *no* *C*b*l*. There *is*, however, a net-wide
    conspiracy designed solely to lead Dave Hayes (q.v.) to believe that there
    is a C*b*l.
    Corollary: *There* *are* *no* *pods*.
    Rule #9: It's *always* September, *somewhere* on the Net.
    Dave Fischer's Extension: 1993 was The Year September Never Ended [so far,
    there doesn't seem to be much evidence he's wrong...]
    Rule #17: Go not to UseNet for counsel, for they will say both `No' and
    `Yes' and `Try another newsgroup'.
    Rule #2 (John Gilmore): "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes
    around it."
    Rule #108 (from the soc.motss FAQ): "What will happen to me if I read
    soc.motss?" "In general, nothing. (You may be informed or infuriated, of
    course; but that's a standard Usenet hazard.)"
    Rule #666: Old alt groups never die. They don't fade away nicely, either.
    Rule #7-B: There is no topic so thoroughly covered that noone will ever
    bring it up again.
    Rule #90120: Applying your standards to someone else's post *will* result
    in a flamewar.
    Rule #1: Spellling and grammer counts. So do grace, wit, and a sense of
    humor (the latter two are different), as well as a willingness to meet
    odd people, but these are lesser considerations.
    Rule #x^2: FAQs are asked frequently. Get used to them.
    Rule #29: no rational discourse can happen in a thread cross-posted to
    more than two newsgroups.
    rule #6 (Eddie Saxe): don't post to misc.test unless you understand the
    consequences.
    Rule #547 (Arne Adolfsen): When people know they're wrong they resort to ad
    hominems.
    Rule #37 (Faisal Nameer Jawdat): Read the thread from the beginning, or else.
    Rule #5 (Reimer's Reason): Nobody ever ignores what they should ignore on
    Usenet.
    Rule $19.99 (Brad `Squid' Shapcott): The Internet *isn't* *free*. It just has
    an economy that makes no sense to capitalism.
    Rule #3 ("Why 3?" "Because we felt like it"): For every opinion there is at
    least one equally loud and opposing opinion; sometimes stated as:
    Rule #27 (Gary Lewandowski): "In cyberspace, *everyone* can hear you scream."
    And for completeness' sake:

    Rule #4: (Godwin's Rule) Any off-topic mention of Hitler or Nazis will cause
    the thread it is mentioned in to an irrelevant and off-topic end very soon;
    every thread on UseNet has a constantly-increasing probability to contain
    such a mention.
    Quirk's Exception: Intentional invocation of this so-called "Nazi Clause" is
    ineffectual.
    Case's Corollary: If the subject is Heinlein or homosexuality, the
    probability of a Hitler/Nazi comparison being made becomes equal to one.
    - net.legends FAQ (<URL:http://www.uiuc.edu/
    ~tskirvin/faqs/legends.html>)

    Pinears P HornSwaGGle, Jul 27, 2003
  16. Durnit. Two pairs: *sniggers* and *titters*. ;o/
    --

    "It's amazing I won. I was running against
    peace, prosperity, and incumbency."

    Pinears P HornSwaGGle, Jul 27, 2003