    I have two pc's on a wireless network.
    My question is.........do I have to install Zonealarm on both pc's or only
    the one that is connected to the internet.

    Drummerboy, May 18, 2004

  2. Drummerboy

    MiniEmma Guest

    the way i have done it is with ZA on one pc and it covers the other.

    if you open ZA and go to the firewall section and click advanced that is
    where you set it up

    hth

    MiniEmma, May 18, 2004

  3. Drummerboy

    Dan Shea Guest

    Only the one that is connected to the internet.

    FYI, ZoneAlarm (like many firewalls) is known to cause problems with
    ICS. If you're planning on using ICS to share the internet connection
    to the other computer, might want to bear that in mind.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, May 18, 2004
  4. Drummerboy

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    If you want to use ICS, use ZoneAlarm Pro which specifically caters
    for ICS. If you use the free version, you will have to lower Internet
    firewall protection from High to Medium (recommended for temporary use
    only), or you will not be able to access any websites from the PC
    sharing the connection (ie not have direct internet connection)

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, May 19, 2004
  5. Drummerboy

    NoBody Guest

    Dan you are correct about ZoneAlarm Free and ZoneAlarm Plus
    they really open themselves up when you use ICS as does Sygate
    and Kerio.

    Just info as I just went through this looking for a firewall that would
    work with ICS (XP and 98). I found two that worked with ICS and
    didn't punch holes in themselves. Checked at Sygate SOS and
    Shields up and got full stealth.

    1 Norton Internet Security 2003 (don't have 2004)
    2 ZoneAlarm Pro.

    NoBody, May 19, 2004
  6. Drummerboy

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, mused:

    | Dan you are correct about ZoneAlarm Free and ZoneAlarm Plus
    | they really open themselves up when you use ICS as does Sygate
    | and Kerio.

    Well, neither one of you are really correct. ZA Plus is the same as ZA
    Pro with regard to ICS. Plus merely had the Privacy Controls removed to
    satisfy the number of Pro users who preferred a "pure" firewall.

    ZA Free specifically does not support ICS at High security ... this is
    marketing incentive to buy Pro or Plus. But saying that ZA Free is "known
    to cause problems with ICS" (as did the OP) is a mischaracterization, and
    fundamentally false.

    mhicaoidh, May 21, 2004
  7. Drummerboy

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Drummerboy" <[email protected]"nospam mused:

    | I have two pc's on a wireless network.
    | My question is.........do I have to install Zonealarm on both pc's or only
    | the one that is connected to the internet.

    It depends on their configuration. If you have a wireless router, and
    both PCs connect to it directly, then you should have a firewall on each.
    Though the wireless router will take care of incoming traffic from the WAN
    side, there would be nothing to protect your PCs from other wireless devices
    that might connect to your network ... and no outbound protection.

    mhicaoidh, May 21, 2004
  8. Drummerboy

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    you can set security on wireless routers.
    filter by MAC, set unique DHCP scope
    use authentication\encription
    don't broadcast
    etc...