ZoneAlarm on Win2K pro client

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Chieftain, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. Chieftain

    Chieftain Guest

    Hi All
    I have a 2 comptuer lan setup

    Main comp is XP Pro using ICS via dialup modem and I use the XP
    inbuilt firewall

    Second comp is Win2K pro connected to main via crossover cable

    The second comp is just for messing about with Win2k etc, there are
    no extra progs installed, only the OS. When I start the client up, it
    joins the network ok and I can browse/copy files etc. When I start IE
    up it'll initiate a dialup connection to the internet via the modem on
    the XP comp and it all works great. But it will only start the dialup
    after I initiate it, which is what I want.

    The Probelm

    I installed ZoneAlarm pro on the client to leran about it etc. But
    now when I start the client up it joins the network and also starts up
    a dialup connection. If i manually cancel it on the XP comp a short
    time later it will start a dialup again, ad infinitum.

    Is there setting in ZoneAlarm to stop this behaviour

    I know it's ZoneAlarm thats causing it to happen, as I un-installed
    ZoneAlarm and the problem stopped happening.

    Chieftain

    Chieftain, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Chieftain

    phoenix Guest

    Hi

    ZA is probably trying to 'check for updates' - uncheck the option and your
    problem should go away.

    Regards

    Bill

    phoenix, Jul 24, 2003