ZoneAlarm - huge .zip file in folder ???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bob, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I have been running ZoneAlarm for some time now (Win98SE box)
    and periodically deleting the tvdebug.log file which just keeps
    growing.

    Today I looked in C:\Internet Logs (a folder used by
    ZoneAlarm) and found a file VSMON_2nd_2005_01_26_10_06_22.dmp.zip.
    Its size is 1,431KB!!! It seems that the time stamp is updated on
    each reboot.

    Can this file be deleted periodically (and safely)?

    If so, where would I put a command to delete these two files
    on bootup?

    Thanks.

    Bob

    Bob, Jan 26, 2005

  2. Bob

    Morgan Pugh Guest

    In 2005 I would not call 1.39MB a "huge" file. That is my opinion
    though :)
    I suggest you move it to another location and reboot your computer to
    see what happens. If it kills your system, boot up from a Windows 98
    boot floppy (make one first if you don't have one!) and move it back
    to where it was.
    I would suggest you move it first as it might not even re-create
    itself. Perhaps ZoneAlarm automatically checks all the files in the
    directory at boot or similar which would explain the up to date time
    stamp.

    Also you do not know if you can delete the file at all. It might be
    locked by ZoneAlarm and you need to shut down ZoneAlarm in order to
    delete it.

    To give you an answer though, a batch file in your startup folder
    would probably be the easiest solution.
    No problem. Hope it helps.

    Morgan Pugh, Jan 26, 2005

  3. Bob

    Richard Guest

    Since it's a zip file, there is no action taken on it.
    Copy the file to another folder, open the copy and scan for virus.
    You can check the properties of the files for more information.
    If it's nothing connected to ZA, go ahead and delete the thing.

    Richard, Mar 1, 2005