    through services.msc and disabling the DNS service

    why would everything be requesting server access all of a sudden?

    Thanks

    zvnteq7, May 3, 2009

  2. zvnteq7

    Dan C Guest

    Sounds like the hard drive needs formatting.

    Dan C, May 3, 2009

  3. zvnteq7

    Pennywise Guest

    The changes you made HOSTS file and DNS service wouldn't cause this.
    malware, or your firewall?

    Pennywise, May 3, 2009
  4. Yip, clean install's the only answer - unless of course, he made an OS image
    he can restore from.

    But it strikes me, people who don't image are also likely to be the ones
    asking about weird bahaviours too.

    Centre Parting, May 3, 2009
  5. zvnteq7

    Aardvark Guest

    Hey, DUH-ane! How ya doin'?

    Aardvark, May 3, 2009
  6. zvnteq7

    chuckcar Guest

    For two reasons: they never *have* been given permission and they never
    *tried* to connect. Scan your computer for malware. *every* file.

    chuckcar, May 3, 2009
  7. zvnteq7

    Evan Platt Guest

    Wow. Is your advice EVERY anywhere NEAR correct?

    Evan Platt, May 3, 2009
  8. zvnteq7

    larrylaundry Guest

    Nearly every software firewall I have used has done that at one time
    or another. Or let out previous blocked programs.

    Windows really is pretty secure and stable when you keep it simple. I
    think trying to be overly cautious with security in windows often
    leaves route for failure. Whatever the cause.

    I think the more that people install is route for failure including
    anti virus adware stuff. I use just one program for each function.
    Except for two browsers. IE and firefox. And IE is only for flash
    media and updating.

    I just use the built in firewall in windows and I'm confident it
    works.

    Definitely use a router with windows.

    larrylaundry, May 5, 2009
  9. zvnteq7

    larrylaundry Guest

    I've had that happen with AVG, and nearly every firewall. AVG the
    worst. And never found any malware.

    I would always reinstall when I saw that behavior anyway because it
    would happen again. Or I wouldn't feel it's doing what it is supposed
    to be doing. I've seen blocked programs connected to sites that seemed
    to have no relation to the update sites, from previous updates.

    larrylaundry, May 5, 2009
  10. zvnteq7

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    That's clearly not the case here. Besides such behavior is *exactly* what
    a trojan does by definition.

    chuckcar, May 5, 2009

  11. You st00peed ole fuuker, you've been posting long enuf to know better!

    Your OS and ZA flavor/version are relevant to your latest plot/fantasy...

    So, chohgie-up -- or STFU and FOAD. <hand> <middle-finger> <3 x snap>

    HTH.

    --

    I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and whilst my huge stimulus package
    may not save the US economy; it sure makes the wimmins happy!

    Pay your taxes and keep the AIG Execs in high-end penthouses :

    http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/z/8/2/hopenosis.gif

    Bucky Breeder, May 5, 2009
  12. zvnteq7

    Pennywise Guest

    idiot.

    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    Chucktard, Chuckturd, Idiot, Clueless, Stupid and many more names this
    persons is called as time goes on. He makes no friends and alienates
    all he comes in contact with.

    He will give wrong information, stick to it to his last breath, then
    change his stance to the proper solution when it appears - taking
    credit for it as well.

    This person has no self pity and will steal others advice as his own.
    It's quite obvious when it happens.

    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) ) always has to appear right or correct
    and those long threads you see involving him is a "who can last the
    longest" or just the fact that he has to be right no matter how wrong
    he is. and I swear, last post appears important as well, an awful
    combination.

    This person will give advice that can cause you to lose your data,
    lose your computer (bad bios info) or just flat screw you.

    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) ) running Win98, a person who has never
    used a NT OS yet feels quite comfortable giving advice he has never
    used himself.

    This group likes the fact it's able to help others, (setq (chuck nil)
    car(chuck) ) really doesn't care about the user, just how he comes
    across (and that's always him being seen as right)

    But (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) ) anytime you come up with some of
    your bogus advice, I will call you on it.

    Seriously if you receive advice from (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) ),
    google the information first to see if it's even in the ball park.

    Pennywise.

    Pennywise, May 5, 2009
  13. zvnteq7

    Pennywise Guest

    Your firewall isn't working, configured wrong, or your allowing files
    to call out that have no reason to.

    Run Leaktest. to test your firewall.
    http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm

    Might as well run Shields Up as well.
    http://www.grc.com/intro.htm

    Pennywise, May 6, 2009
  14. zvnteq7

    zvnteq7 Guest

    Well thank you for having faith in me knowing better... ;)

    zvnteq7, May 8, 2009
  15. Whoo--pps... most previous from you to me was teh ""plonk""... <g>

    (Me, I use the ZA backup feature on the Overview | Prefrences tab.
    It's an *.xml file which I can occasionally edit with Notepad when
    the Program Control | Programs or Components don't take.
    Oh yeah, and I still use v5.5.094.000 on XP-Pros with a NAT router)

    --

    I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and whilst my huge stimulus package
    may not save the US economy; it sure makes the wimmins happy!

    Pay all your taxes so we can give anuther $10-billion to Pakistan :

    http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/z/8/2/hopenosis.gif

    Bucky Breeder, May 8, 2009