ZoneAlarm - Don't Know How to Allow Port 3389

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John R. Baker, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. I am running ZoneAlarm version 4.5.594.000, with TrueVector security engine
    version 4.5.594.000, and driver version 4.5.594.000. My OS is Windows XP
    Professional.

    I want to connect remotely to this computer, using Win XP's "Remote Desktop
    Connection". A guru friend of mine said I need to configure ZoneAlarm to
    "allow port 3389".

    I am able to successfully connect with Remote Desktop Connection when
    ZoneAlarm is completely disabled, but cannot connect with ZoneAlarm running
    (and port 3389 NOT allowed).

    I read the help file in ZoneAlarm about "Adding custom ports", and the
    instructions are quite clear on how to do it. The problem is, when I try to
    follow the instructions, the menu choices described in the help file are not
    there for me to select. It's as if the help file is for a different version
    of ZoneAlarm.

    Any suggestions on how to "allow port 3389" in my version of ZoneAlarm so I
    can use Remote Desktop AND ZoneAlarm at the same time?

    - John R. Baker

    John R. Baker, Sep 28, 2004

  2. John R. Baker

    Robin Hood Guest

    You did not say if you could see the other machine. I would guess you cannot
    and it is not a matter of specific port numbers, but of IP addresses. Your
    local network probably has an IP something like 192.168.0 # where # is a
    number between 0 255. You need to give ZoneAlarm permission to pass that IP
    range. In ZoneAlarm select firewall and the Zones. Click add and add then IP
    range and enter the range of numbers you are using.

    If that doesn't do it then read some other answers. Best of luck.

    Robin Hood, Sep 28, 2004

  3. Mr. Hood,

    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that later this evening when I get
    home, and report back tomorrow.

    - John R. Baker

    John R. Baker, Sep 28, 2004
  4. On second thought, I'm not sure I want to try that! Then ANYTHING can get
    into my computer, not just Remote Desktop with the correct password.

    If I disable ZoneAlarm completely, then Remote Desktop does work!

    - John R. Baker

    John R. Baker, Sep 29, 2004
  5. John R. Baker

    mAineAc Guest

    Are you on an internal netowrk at home? If not allowing that range will
    not do anything. That is an internal private range, in other words
    someone from the internet will not use it. If this computer is the
    gateway or the only computer on the internet, then you will need to
    allow the port like your friend says. If your using windows XP though
    you may also want to verify the useless firewall that comes with their
    connections is disabled because that may give you an issue also. What I
    was reading in the docs says that you can only add ports at the highest
    protection level and block ports at the medium level. I would go to the
    zone labs website and get the pdf there for version you have. Page 46
    has the information that you need.

    mAineAc

    mAineAc, Sep 29, 2004
  6. I have a small peer-to-peer network at home, with 3 computers on it.

    The Internet comes in via cable modem, then on to a Linksys BEFSR11 router.
    I have the router set up to forward port 3389 to my internal address. The
    router then goes to an 8-port switch (hub), and then on to the various
    computers in my network.

    Everything works great as long as ZoneAlarm is completely disabled. (The
    Windows XP firewall is disabled. I can't use it because it blocks printer
    sharing on my home network.)

    Tonight when I get home I will check out page 46 from the Zone Labs manual.

    Thanks for your help.

    - John R. Baker

    John R. Baker, Sep 29, 2004
  7. I am using the FREE ZoneAlarm, and not ZoneAlarm Pro. Is that why I cannot
    "Allow Ports"?

    - John R. Baker

    John R. Baker, Sep 30, 2004
  8. John R. Baker

    Sunny Guest

    Yes, however, you are allowed to snip text when you bottom post.

    Sunny, Sep 30, 2004