ZoneAlarm Configuration Help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by fred, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. fred

    fred Guest

    ZA free version 5.5.094.000 (latest/current) on XP Home and W98SE

    Under Firewall Zones there is an entry for the Adapter Subnet that is
    apparently present by default 192.168.1.102. Also apparently by default it
    is set to the internet zone. If I understand correctly I was supposed to
    enter a range of IPs for my local workgroup 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.150 and
    set it to trusted; I did that. These IPs are assinged by DHCP from my
    Belkin wireless router which I set to assign starting at 192.168.1.100.
    Also I set the Belkin to have the IP/gateway address 192.168.1.77.

    Why is 192.168.1.102 for the local Adapter set to internet; it's a 3c905?
    It is possible to change it to trusted. Which is right?

    Currently 192.168.1.102 is both set to internet zone by the Adapter Subnet
    line and by the range line for the local workgroup which is set to trusted.
    What is the zone for 192.168.1.102 internet or trusted? Does the order a
    line appears in the zone list make any difference?

    So do I need to add a ZA zone entry 192.168.1.77 and set it to the internet
    zone?

    fred, Jun 21, 2005

  2. fred

    PC Guest

    Fred

    All your local Adapter knows is to get its IP from the DHCP server, and that
    as far as Windows is concerned the internet is located at 192.168.1.77 (your
    Router for both) The 192.168.1.102 number assigned is worked out by the DHCP
    server by using built in rules and will usually stay the same unless you
    change your network card.
    Zone Alarm is intelligent enough to work this out for itself and
    automatically insert an entry to allow your local adapter access to the
    Internet as well as the Local LAN, hence the green tick in the Internet
    Zone.

    Access to the 192.168.1.77 IP is covered by the Rules associated with it
    being a 'Gateway' (sorry don't know the detail)

    If you want to test anything, change any of the green tick's (left click on
    the green tick) to the blue ?
    The next time a packet is sent Zone Alarm will pop up and ask you if this is
    OK. If you tick the 'remember this' box before you answer 'allow' you will
    find the blue ? is changed to a green tick (or a red X if you 'deny')

    The column to watch is the 'Server' 'Internet' column (very right one)
    Nothing other than webcams/VOIP (Skype)/ and the like should have a green
    tick here.

    As I suggested above the blue ? is an ideal way to 'test' the affects of
    allowing or denying internet/local access, just remember to keep Internet
    Server in the red.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jun 22, 2005