    to do. However, I do have Zonealarm free edition and wondered if I can do
    this blocking the port 25 business on that firewall. If I can do it, well,
    how?

    ali, Nov 9, 2006

  2. ali

    Evan Platt Guest

    Zone Alarm IIRC will tell you when an application attempts to access
    the Internet, if you put it in a certain mode (I can't recall what
    they call it, but basically whenever an app attempts to access the
    Internet, it asks you to allow or block it).

    Unless you have a reason to block port 25 (and likely you don't),
    don't.

    Evan Platt, Nov 9, 2006

  3. Check the options in your e-mail client, I'm sure you are likely to find
    an option to "Warn me when other applications try to send mail as me"

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Nov 9, 2006
  4. ali

    Evan Platt Guest

    Never seen that in any e-mail client I've used.

    Evan Platt, Nov 9, 2006
  5. It's an option in Outhouse Distress.

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 9, 2006
  6. Would you think Outhouse Distress (especially if it is not open) would
    be able to detect a trojan surreptitiously sending email in the
    background?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 9, 2006
  7. ali

    Evan Platt Guest

    Outhouse detecting a torjan?

    Talk about the pot calling the kettle black..

    Evan Platt, Nov 9, 2006
  8. That always struck me as a rather useless function anyway, since many
    trojans have their own SMTP engine.

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 10, 2006
  9. Exactly. All modern ones do. The days of a trojan or other malware using
    the owner's email client were over quite some time ago.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 10, 2006