    J Guest

    Yes

    Zone Alarm is simply a firewall, and does not protect against viruses.

    J, Apr 7, 2004

  2. Hi,

    Since buying my present computer I have had ZoneAlarm downloaded. Last
    year, acting on advice from my credit card company, I have also downloaded
    AVG Anti-Virus System. For my home computer to stay virus free, do I really
    need both systems?

    MC.

    Mike Crossland, Apr 7, 2004

  3. J

    Palindrome Guest

    Do you believe that a car should have both seat belts and brakes?

    BTW, not much point unless you change the brake pads when they are worn
    out - your AVG needs updating.

    Palindrome, Apr 7, 2004
  4. J

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Apr 7, 2004
  5. J

    JM Guest

    Invest in a anti virus program that isnt free. AVG is a free download
    unless of course you purchased it which may be more beneficial.

    However, a friend of mine had the free version of AVG and she got slammed
    with viruses and her computer is now ruined.

    Norton Systemworks is a good investment.

    JM

    JM, Apr 7, 2004
  6. J

    Hywel Guest

    What's wrong with it?

    Hywel, Apr 7, 2004

  7. You really do *need* both an AV and a firewall - and it's
    really nice to have a spyware cleaner as well.

    I've used AVG's free version for quite a while now, and I have
    had really great results from the free version, *but* you have
    to keep that sucker updated or it's no good whatsoever. That's
    true with all AV programs. AVG is a little on the menial side
    because they don't pay much attention to the Free version's
    update servers from time to time, so you have to do it
    manually to be sure. It's the way they work. There's an
    international database, but someone has to get bit before the
    bug makes it to the database and the remedy is passed along to
    us, the *oppressed* *masses* (Bush's tax break excepted). (o;

    In AVG's case, there's a couple of tricks to updating it,
    especially the free version, because it has little problems
    periodically especially with updating it.

    news://alt.comp.freeware is a good group to get the
    particulars on updating your url.ini file and some other
    methods for making sure you are configured correctly.

    Then there's the pesky little spyware apps, which will give
    you fits every now and then. Lavasoft's Ad-Aware is as good as
    any and it's free as well.

    These things have a tendency to overlap in their protections.
    For instance, ZA will block an *.exe from downloading onto my
    hard drive, renaming it *.zl9, or similar - and then I'll get
    a prompt to scan it with AVG. I use Trojan Remover as well as
    PestPatrol too. Both of these recognize AVG and have prompted
    me to remove a file with AVG - which then quarantines the bad
    file to the AVG vault where I can just delete it, etc.

    But the main thing is that you have to keep these things
    updated, and lately that means on a daily basis.

    AVG is currently v6.0.654 and Virus database 419, which was
    released yesterday. So unless you get hit with a really old
    virus, you're a sitting duck for these things. Like any
    infection, it only takes *one* little bug to cause a whole
    mess 'o messiness. And one of the characteristics of viruses
    is that they mutate and adapt - change.

    Bucky Breeder, Apr 8, 2004
  8. ---
    Many thanks for all your replies. Acting on your advice, I updated
    AVG yesterday evening and am now rather surprised to find that it is
    already out of date. It seems that updating AVG is yet another job
    I will have to add to my daily workload.

    MC

    Mike Crossland, Apr 8, 2004
  9. J

    Palindrome Guest

    As it was so far out of date, you may find that it needed several
    updates to catch up. So don't expect this to happen all the time!
    However, checking for updates every day only takes a moment and a boring
    moment every day is better than an exciting moment once a month -
    finding that your machine is infected because you let your AV get out of
    date again.

    Palindrome, Apr 8, 2004
  10. J

    Gordon Guest

    In
    Switch to Avast! - it's also free, just as good, and is automatically
    updated every time you go on line, so you don't have to do anything!

    Gordon, Apr 8, 2004
  11. J

    °Mike° Guest

    It's playing in the wrong league, but then, it *is* free.
    Basically, it's no good at detection, when it comes to
    exotics. It also throws too many false positives and
    'guesses'.

    °Mike°, Apr 8, 2004
  12. J

    Hywel Guest

    Any chance you've got reviews of it? There's one on Kickstart News
    (http://tinyurl.com/26f4) and it seems to get the thumbs up with the
    only "con" being some bizarrely worded sentence on the packaging.

    I've been using it for a couple of years (PC-Cillin was too resouce-
    intensive at the time), and haven't had anything slip through. Of
    course, would I know if it had?

    Hywel, Apr 8, 2004
  13. J

    °Mike° Guest

    My view of AVG comes from personal experience, testing different
    antivirus products with thousands of different viruses, worms and
    trojans. The vast majority of reviews you find on the net are
    either biased, or written by people who have no idea, however,
    the following two pages should give you some idea.

    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avg.xml

    http://www.software-antivirus.com/program/avg-antivirus-review.html
    "Testing has put AVG Antivirus in the lower range, with only
    a 15%-20% detection rate."

    °Mike°, Apr 8, 2004
  14. J

    mhicaoidh Guest

    mhicaoidh, Apr 8, 2004
  15. J

    °Mike° Guest

    Four passes vs. twenty fails.
    Works fine here. Try the Google cache:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?A2D8619F7

    °Mike°, Apr 8, 2004
  16. J

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, °Mike° mused:

    | Four passes vs. twenty fails.

    ... which occurred in past tests with older versions of the program.
    What do I care if a program was bad two years ago if it's good now?

    mhicaoidh, Apr 13, 2004
  17. WHO IS THIS.I DONT KNOW YOU

    virginia graham, Apr 14, 2004
  18. J

    °Mike° Guest

    It was bad two years ago, and it's just as bad now.
    That is from first hand experience. You don't have to
    take my word for it, though; go ahead and use it.

    °Mike°, Apr 14, 2004
  19. J

    Gordon Guest

    In || WHO IS THIS.I DONT KNOW YOU