    as a server? Application: svchost.exe"

    What do I click: YES or NO?

    Ima Goodlay

    Ima Goodlay, Sep 9, 2003

  2. I would say yes on the basis that Winpatrol id's it as a microsoft thing.
    But I am not a professional. I would say to set up your ZA so that each
    time you want to do something on line to let the firewall ask is it
    ok(default). But let other more adept advise you before you take my advice.

    --
    longshotjohn 7

    http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/hot2trot

    because of those who look on and do nothing.
    --Albert Einstein

    longshotjohn7, Sep 9, 2003

  3. Ima Goodlay

    IanCT Guest

    It's legitimate, although virus's run in disguise of
    svchost.exe. (Welchia/Blaster)

    Locally you can enable server, leave it off for Internet
    (if possible)

    I believe you can ultimately just say No. If you have any
    problems, just go into the ZA control panel and enable it.

    IanCT, Sep 9, 2003
  4. Ima Goodlay

    trout Guest

    When in doubt; I'd just say "no". If a legitimate program
    subsequently won't work properly, you can easily change the permission,
    and you'll know which program it is.
    Are you running an up-to-date virus scanner, and (depending on your
    OS) Microsoft security ('post-Blaster') patches?

    trout, Sep 9, 2003
  5. Ima Goodlay

    Ima Goodlay Guest

    -----

    Thanks guys. I'll just say NO and if a problem pops with a program
    I'll switch to YES.

    Trout, my virus scanner and security patches are right up-to-date.

    Ima

    Ima Goodlay

    Ima Goodlay, Sep 9, 2003
  6. Ima Goodlay

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Ima Goodlay mused:

    | "Do you want to allow Generic Host Process for Win32 Services to act
    | as a server? Application: svchost.exe"
    |
    | What do I click: YES or NO?

    Generally things will work fine if you say "no." However, if you want
    to say "yes," it should be okay too. What I have done is given svchost
    Server Access to the Trusted Zone, but not to the internet ... and then put
    my DNS servers in the Trusted Zone. The incoming traffic svchost is
    accepting is generally from the DNS servers.

    With ZA4, I wrote specific rules to allow it access to the DNS servers,
    so I was then able to remove the servers from my Trusted Zone.

    mhicaoidh, Sep 9, 2003
  7. Ima Goodlay

    Rich Guest

    Some programs will not work if you say NO, however, I have not had any
    problem when I say Yes.

    You may want to install Visual Zone, and if you have any problems you
    can back trace the problem.
    http://visualize.phenominet.com/visualzone/visualzone.htm
    This is a great ad on for Zone Alarm.

    Rich

    Rich, Sep 9, 2003
  8. Ima Goodlay

    J. E. Conrad Guest

    I've had svchost.exe set to "NO" on ZA for a couple of years now with no
    problems.

    J. E. Conrad, Sep 9, 2003
  9. yeah u should click yes and for all other messages that have the same thing
    with a different name click yes and check the box that says remember this u
    should do that untill ZA knows all ur softwares the message actully tells u
    that ZA has found a software do u want it to be active online or not u
    should probably say yes coz if u say no u loose the software it will not
    work ne more

    ali daneshvar, Sep 10, 2003
  10. Ima Goodlay

    trout Guest

    And if the outgoing requests come from spyware, worms, viruses or
    trojans? There is little point in having a firewall if you do this. This
    is spectacularly bad advice.

    trout, Sep 10, 2003
  11. Ima Goodlay

    Marc Russell Guest

    I was just about the reply and say the same thing. Really bad advice. You
    should only allow access to programs that you want to access the internet.
    There are many programs that run on your pc that try to access the itnernet
    all of the time that you may not want to. The most commom ones are auto
    update programs for software that seem to try and access their site
    everytime you connect, this is obvously not required.

    When alowing access to the internet make sure you knoe what the program is
    even if you do not understand what it does, if you are unsure check it out

    Marc Russell, Sep 10, 2003
  12. Ima Goodlay

    Ima Goodlay Guest

    I'm saying NO until something doesn't work.
    Rich, thanks for the tip on Visual Zone. It's not yet fully tested
    for Win XP Pro but it works fine for me. A fun add-on for ZA.

    From the VZ web site I found Shields Up at the address
    https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
    which boosts my confidence in Zone Alarm.

    Ima

    Ima Goodlay

    Ima Goodlay, Sep 10, 2003
  13. Ima Goodlay

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, trout mused:

    | And if the outgoing requests come from spyware, worms, viruses or
    | trojans? There is little point in having a firewall if you do this. This
    | is spectacularly bad advice.

    Agreed. Not to mention grammar and punctuation. ;-)

    mhicaoidh, Sep 10, 2003
  14. Ima Goodlay

    Rich Guest

    You're welcome,and thanks for your site it was very cool.
    Rich

    Rich, Sep 11, 2003