    changing addresses.
    What am I doing wrong??
    Bones

    Bones, Dec 24, 2003

  2. Bones

    HamMan Guest

    you mean computer?

    and 98SE on the other. Each has its own
    Zone lab? you mean zonealarm?

    on each machine. Have trouble trying to use the other
    You dont need to run zonealarm behind a router, unless youre in the DMZ.
    That is, providing you didnt get a really crap router...

    HamMan, Dec 24, 2003

  3. Bones

    MrToad Guest

    Actually, running a software firewall behind a router is a good practice,
    this will keep spy/adware & and trojans that sneak on to your system from
    "calling home".
    The NAT protocol on the router blocks incomming *only*....

    About the other problem; changing IP's on the DSL side shouldn't affect
    your internal network.
    Try assigning static IP's to your PC's with the router, so your internal
    network IP's are always the same.

    MrToad, Dec 24, 2003
  4. Bones

    Bones Guest

    That is, providing you didnt get a really crap router...

    I have an SMC wired router. Yes I have Zone alarm on both computers. We have
    two printers, one is used for black and white and the other for colour. What
    stuff will the router block?
    Vic

    Bones, Dec 24, 2003
  5. Bones

    philo Guest

    I just ran into a similar problem...
    I just added a router and also use zone alarm...

    What I did was first turn off my DSL router, then turned off zone alarm
    on both machines...

    Next I went into the Zone Alarm setup and under firewall...zones
    added the other computer ( I let Zone Alarm seek it) I did the same thing on
    each machine...The turned Zone Alarm back on and then the DSL router

    Because I am using the free version...I had to leave the firewall off in the
    trusted
    zone...but believe that Zone Alarm Pro has better configuration options.

    philo, Dec 24, 2003
  6. Bones

    D`Sypher Guest

    Not much, a router is NOT a firewall even if some routers have a LITTLE bit
    of firewall functionality.
    You should ALWAYS run a firewall behind a router.

    D`Sypher, Dec 25, 2003
  7. Bones

    D`Sypher Guest

    Easy fix: apply static ip adress to the inside nic of the router, and static
    ip adresses on your computers on the same subnet.

    D`Sypher, Dec 25, 2003
  8. Actually, I use a Linksys Router + ZoneAlarm personal + Win98 + Win95 no
    prob. The "trick" is to make the SubNet part of the trusted zone.

    Technically this does run a bit of a risk for viri / snoop-ware... But I
    keep running AdAware daily and have Antivirus checking for updates every
    2 hrs.

    Me? Paranoid? Why do you ask?

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Dec 26, 2003