Zone Files help please??

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Chris, Jun 14, 2005.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I have a broadband account with Zen, and have 3 accounts hosted with
    http://www.gradwell.com/

    I have set up my own ftp server on my home machine. People can access it
    using the IP address 82.70.254.222 (I think...), but I want to resolve
    it (I think that's the right word) to the host name ftp.chriswilson.tv ,
    chriswilson.tv being hosted with Gradwell. They don't offer any more
    support for this other than what's in their Knowledge Base on their
    site, which is all pretty much beyond me!

    I need someone to tell me exctly what I need to do with their Zone Files
    set up pages and maybe I need to do something with DNS too???

    If someone is willing to help I can post up some more info as required,
    such as the result of C:\ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt

    and maybe a screen shot of my current Zone File settings? Is there
    anything I should *NOT* post, security wise, other than passwords?

    I just want to get ftp to work from ftp.chriswilson.tv, but I have been
    messing for days now.... :(

    Thanks.

    Decided to post link to screen shot of Zone File settings, the only one
    I have added is "ftp" Thanks.

    http://chriswilson.tv/zonefile.png

    Chris, Jun 14, 2005

  2. Chris

    Alex Fraser Guest

    Other way around: you want ftp.chriswilson.tv to resolve to 82.70.254.222
    (or whatever).

    Looks like you've got it working to me. I assume the target is a static IP
    address.

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Jun 14, 2005

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Yes, I think it's working now, I had CNAME instead of A in the record.
    Target address is static, so that should be OK.

    Anonymous users are limited to /home and its sub directories, but if I
    put a link to

    ftp://ftp.chriswilson.tv/home/argo.jpg

    it doesn't work, yet argo.jpg is in the /home directory

    ftp://ftp.chriswilson.tv/argo.jpg does work

    Why's that then, please?

    Also, if I try and reach my ftp server from the machine it's running on
    by going into Mozilla and typing

    ftp://ftp.chriswilson.tv

    I get logged into my router management screen. Is that normal? It's a
    Netgear DG834 none wireless.

    Thanks for your help.

    Chris, Jun 14, 2005
  4. Chris

    Alex Fraser Guest

    [snip]
    Something to do with the FTP server configuration - see the documentation.
    At a guess, whatever limits anonymous users also sets the root directory to
    the same.
    No, it's not normal - if you are using port forwarding, normal would be
    failure to connect (timeout or connection refused). However, the underlying
    cause is almost certainly the same: port forwarding only operates on packets
    that come from "outside". Either use a local name/address for access from
    local machines, or arrange for local machines to resolve ftp.chriswilson.tv
    to the local address. For a small number of machines, the easiest way to
    achieve the latter is to add entries in each machine's "hosts" file.

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Jun 14, 2005
  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Thanks again Alex. If I do a C:\ipconfig /all what part of the result do
    I use in the hosts file please? I assume I'll be doing something like

    82.70.254.*** ftp.chriswilson.tv

    Not sure what part of the ipconfig info to put as the numeric address
    though. Cheers.

    Chris, Jun 14, 2005
  6. Chris

    Alex Fraser Guest

    If you are using NAT, I'd expect it to be more like:

    192.168.0.123 ftp.chriswilson.tv

    In any case, you want the IP address of the machine running the server.
    Ipconfig will tell you this without the /all switch.

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Jun 14, 2005
  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Thanks for your patience Alex, working fine now, much appreciated!

    Chris, Jun 15, 2005