Zone Alarm Pro/Ad Watch & msconfig32 & more

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Trent, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Trent

    Trent Guest

    Yesterday Zone Alarm popped up and asked if I wanted to allow msconfig32 to
    act as a server. At the same time, Adaware's Ad Watch popped up and said
    that there was an attempt to add a registry value.
    Root: Hkey Current User
    Key: Software/Microsoft/Windows/Version/Run Once
    Value: MSConfig
    New Data: MSConfig32.exe

    First time this has ever happened. I kept telling Zone Alarm NO and Ad
    Watch to Block. Checked add/remove programs for any spyware that might have
    snuck in. I had just run Spybot and Adware and rebooted. Finally gave in
    and allowed ZA and Ad Watch to accept it. I've done a google group search
    for ~Zone Alarm msconfig32.exe server~ and other combinations and came up
    with nothing. Tried to check msconfig for something unusual in the startup
    tab and I can't access msconfig :eek: So, I did a ctrl/alt/del to look at
    programs in the taskmanager. Taskmanager blinks on and then disappears
    instantly. I could (hopefully) do a system restore but I'd like to know
    what caused this and what I can do to fix it. Thanks for any help. Oh and
    no, I haven't recently installed any new software or updated any programs.
    NAV was updated July 30.

    Monica

    Trent, Aug 6, 2003

  2. Trent