Zombies ate my HDD! (seriously)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by zxcvbob, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    I tried to download the movie "Night of the Living Dead" onto my laptop
    from archives.org last night. The file is about 3.5GB, so it was gonna
    take a few hours. Before I started, the HDD had about 4GB used and
    7.something gig available. In the middle of the night, my cable modem
    crashed and the download aborted at about 70% finished. It did not
    crash the computer, but I did reboot this morning after I reset the
    cable modem and router.

    I looked at my HDD properties (Windows 2K SP4, NTFS) and it now shows
    6GB used and 5GB available. I did a disk cleanup, and that didn't help
    much. I did a search for all files > 100 MB to try to find the temp
    file or cache file so I could delete it, but there weren't any humongous
    files, just the few 100MB+ files that I knew about already.

    Where'd my 2GB of available storage go? And how do I get it back? I
    haven't run CHKDSK yet since this is NTFS and I assume it won't find any
    orphan file fragments, but that's probably the next thing I'm gonna try
    unless someone here has an idea.

    Thanks, and best regards,
    Bob

    zxcvbob, Oct 13, 2004

  2. zxcvbob

    °Mike° Guest

    See my signature.

    °Mike°, Oct 13, 2004

  3. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    It turned out to be a 2GB file in my IE cache -- I had deleted
    "temporary internet files" in the disk cleanup, and I had looked at the
    cache file list and the big file didn't show up there, so I didn't
    bother to clear the cache. HD Valet found it. I didn't trust HDV to
    delete files, but I cleared the IE cache in Internet Settings and got my
    disk space back.

    Thanks.

    Best regards,
    Bob