Zipping A Folder, To Be Able To Send As An e-Mail Attachment Questions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 20, 2005.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Still trying to figure out the best way to send a Folder with a lot of stuff
    in it as an e-mail Attachment via OE.
    Running XP.

    I found on my PC WINRAR. Frankly, I have no idea if it came with the
    machine, or got downloaded somehow.
    Know nothing about it.
    Anyway, if I zip the main Folder I want to transmit using WINRAR, I can
    Attach it in OE, and transmit it O.K.
    Really don't want to send using WINRAR, as the receiving party doesn't have
    this program.

    But if I go to the Properties/Advanced for the Folder, and do the "compress
    documents to save disc space",
    I cannot send it as an Attachment.
    I thought that this was in essence a zipping procedure in XP, but apparently
    not ?
    Why won't this work ?

    Is there another Zipping program, that might work in XP ?
    Looked but couldn't find one.

    If I right mouse click on desktop, I cannot find what is suggested in the
    Help Files In XP regarding
    zipping:
    "You can also create a zipped compressed folder by right-clicking the
    desktop, pointing to New, and then clicking Compressed
    (zipped) Folder. "

    There doesn't appear to be any choice for selecting the Compressed (zipped)
    Folder

    If anyone can clarify the above for me, and tell me how to zip my Main
    folder (I guess i have to create a folder with the zipper icon)
    to be able to transmit it as an e-mail Attachment, i would be most
    appreciative.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Bob

    Robert11, Nov 20, 2005

  2. Right click on the desktop, hover the pointer over "New" and the drop
    down menu has the choice you're looking for. On my machine it's all the
    way at the bottom of the menu.

    You can also download and use Winzip or PKZip, but you're probably on
    the right track doing it with the built in utility.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 20, 2005

  3. Robert11

    old jon Guest

    How about sending a copy of winRar as well. Then the recipient can unrar the
    files when they get there.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Nov 20, 2005
  4. Robert11

    Mike Easter Guest

    I'm at the disadvantage of not using XP or WinRar
    That is one method, to make a .rar file, but you have the problem of the
    recipient ability to extract if you do it that way.
    I'm sure the licensed version of winrar can make a self extractor
    instead of a .rar
    I think you are going off in the wrong direction there. I don't know
    if XP can make a selfextracting zip. Can your recipient unzip?

    I also don't know if the free demonstration version of winrar will make
    a selfextrator. My free iceows will make a selfextracting .arj file.

    Mike Easter, Nov 20, 2005
  5. Robert11

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Nov 20, 2005
  6. Robert11

    old jon Guest

    Another option for you, is to go to `alt.comp.freeware` and ask about
    compression progs there. Then tell your other end to get the same software.
    It`s all free there.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Nov 20, 2005
  7. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi Roger:

    "Right click on the desktop, hover the pointer over "New" and the
    drop
    down menu has the choice you're looking for. On my machine it's
    all the
    way at the bottom of the menu."

    Honest, it's truly not there !

    Any idea why it isn't ?
    How can i get it back ?

    Thanks for help,
    Bob

    --------------

    Robert11, Nov 20, 2005
  8. Robert11

    Mitch Guest

    Fine. You're done.
    Doesn't matter; anyone connected to the internet or another network is
    probably going to need such a tool routinely.
    WINRAR isn't the only one, nor does it create proprietary files; they
    will be able to use other tools, too.
    Because of that -- it isn't a ZIP procedure.
    You couldn't find a program that ZIPs files?
    I think there might be hundreds.
    You SELECT any item by clicking on it ONCE.
    Then, you right-click it.
    NO! You do what it describes; any relevant icons will be created.
    You are making the entire folder into a single item (not an items or
    items inside the folder anymore). Just do the two-step given, and
    you'll be done. Again.

    Mitch, Nov 20, 2005
  9. Robert11

    The Shed Guest

    tutorials here
    winrar
    http://users.pandora.be/soulmaniacs/winrar.html

    winzip
    http://ioc.unesco.org/oceanteacher/...cises/01_InfoTechEx/WinZip/WinZipTutorial.htm

    The Shed, Nov 20, 2005
  10. Robert11

    doS Guest

    most zip progs will unrar rar's...

    doS, Nov 20, 2005
  11. Robert11

    Rich Wilson Guest

    Try selecting a file... right-click and choose Send To... is there a
    "Compressed (zipped) Folder" option there?

    Rich Wilson, Nov 21, 2005