Zip file creation error

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Vic Dura, May 26, 2005.

  1. Vic Dura

    Vic Dura Guest

    Hello,

    I'm running winXPpro SP02 and having a serious problem. It just
    started recently. When I use Infozip from the command line I get an
    error as follows:

    d:\tmp0>zip test.zip *.lis
    adding: ascii.lis (188 bytes security) (deflated 57%)
    adding: storage.lis (188 bytes security) (deflated 59%)
    adding: Words.lis (188 bytes security) (deflated 57%)

    zip warning: new zip file left as: zia01000
    zip I/O error: File exists
    zip error: Could not create output file (was replacing the
    original zip file)

    When I explicitly include the path

    d:\tmp0>zip \tmp0\test.zip *.lis
    adding: ascii.lis (188 bytes security) (deflated 57%)
    adding: storage.lis (188 bytes security) (deflated 59%)
    adding: Words.lis (188 bytes security) (deflated 57%)

    d:\tmp0>

    I don't get the error. It did not used to behave that way. I used
    to be able to use it without explicitly specifying the path, and
    on my wife's machine (also winXPpro SP2) that is still how it works.

    I get the same problem with the command line version of WinZip
    Something on my machine has recently changed and I don't know what.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

    Vic Dura, May 26, 2005

  2. Vic Dura

    why? Guest

    Your TEMP / TMP settings are?

    The folder these point to exists?

    Open a cmd prompt and type -

    set

    in the list produced , you should see (if they exist)
    TEMP=
    and
    TMP=
    set to some folder.
    So what folder is that file left in?
    You forced a temp folder, normally what happens is the zip gets built in
    a temp/tmp dir when finished it's renamed to the correct output file.
    See my post from a few minutes ago in reply to - temp files posted by
    Tony.

    Me

    why?, May 26, 2005

  3. Vic Dura

    Vic Dura Guest

    Hello Why. Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought to check TMP
    and TEMP but unfortunately that is not the problem. Both of them are
    defined as d:\tmp1 which does exist and can be written to. After the
    above command fails, the file zia01000 and a zero-length test.zip are
    left in the subdirectory in which the command was executed.

    I was doing some more testing and found that the above command:

    zip test.zip *.lis

    will execute without error if executed in C:\ D:\ or E:\ root
    directories, but not in any subdirectory of those drives unless the
    subdir is explicitly specified e.g.

    cd \tmp0
    zip \tmp0\test.zip *.lis

    I would appreciate any other suggestions you might have. This one
    really has me stumped.

    Vic Dura, May 26, 2005
  4. Vic Dura

    Pennywise Guest

    |>I was doing some more testing and found that the above command:
    |>
    |>zip test.zip *.lis
    |>
    |>will execute without error if executed in C:\ D:\ or E:\ root
    |>directories, but not in any subdirectory of those drives unless the
    |>subdir is explicitly specified e.g.
    |>
    |>cd \tmp0
    |>zip \tmp0\test.zip *.lis
    |>
    |>I would appreciate any other suggestions you might have. This one
    |>really has me stumped.

    You need to give the command a complete path, such as:
    zip D:\tmp0\test.zip *.lis

    Pennywise, May 26, 2005
  5. Vic Dura

    why? Guest

    Permissions?
    Paths with spaces in them?
    Tech support pages for infozip?
    Email them?
    Read the FAQ?

    It's assumed you mean http://www.info-zip.org/ of some unspecified
    version, you didn't say.

    www.google.com for chunks of the error messages returned?

    Sort of like
    Results 1 - 4 of about 28 English pages for
    "zip warning: new zip file left as"
    (0.23 seconds)

    # This is part of the DevGuy Programmers' #### Canvas Toolkit. (c) ...
    .... on device/i) { die "$_ $temp\When writing to $zipname\nSource files:
    $files"; } }
    foreach(@results) { chomp; if (/^zip warning: new zip file left as:
    ([^\n]+)/i ...
    http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/dgpctk/pctk2/pm/cfgmgmt/Package.pm?rev=1.2
    - 23k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

    VOICE Newsletter 11/2001 - OS/2 Tips
    .... <DSOM_eCS> Something like zip warning: new zip file left as:
    zia00058?
    <DSOM_eCS> zip I/O error: Permission denied. <madodel> Something like
    that ...
    www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL1101H/vnewsft.htm - 14k - Cached -
    Similar pages

    [Rake-devel] Suggestion regarding packaging
    .... updating: ruby-doc-stdlib-0.7.3/stdlib/toc.html (deflated 93%) zip
    warning:
    new zip file left as: zi002992 zip I/O error: Permission denied zip
    error: ...
    http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/ rake-devel/2003-November/000008.html -
    4k - Cached - Similar pages

    Geocrawler.com - mozilla-builds - Urgent: Problem with comm.jar ...
    .... Nitin wrote: > . > adding: content/navigator/viewSource.xul (92
    bytes security)
    (deflated 72%) > zip warning: new zip file left as: ../zia00157 > zip
    I/O error ...
    www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/118/2002/8/100/9462175/ - 11k -

    why?, May 26, 2005