    at weekends and overnight as Xilo do. I'm much in favour of the less popular
    'SOHO' ISP's rather than the run of the mill BT,VM, PN, TT etc. I can get
    FTTC in my area as well

    Dave, Aug 23, 2014

  2. Dave

    Davey Guest

    Find Zen'x rates here:

    http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/voice/phone-services.aspx

    Davey, Aug 23, 2014

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Davey" wrote in message
    Find Zen'x rates here:

    http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/voice/phone-services.aspx

    Dave, Aug 23, 2014
  4. Dave

    grinch Guest

    No they offer " off meter " 24/7/365, see the homepage www.zen.co.uk/

    grinch, Aug 24, 2014
  5. Dave

    Phil W Lee Guest

    I've been with Zen since Nildram got swallowed by Tiscali and the
    quality of service plummeted to unacceptable levels (principally badly
    broken traffic management used to try to stretch inadequate bandwidth
    beyond breaking point).
    I've not had any problem at all with Zen (I'm now even moving my phone
    to them as I upgrade to FTTC). They seem to be particularly effective
    at getting BTOR to optimise line quality (my move to Zen lead to an
    immediate doubling in the synch rate on my line - and it's still twice
    the speed that neighbours on other ISPs report), but it is worth
    noting that their support line is only 8-8 M-F and 9-5 at weekends.

    That's never been a problem for me, as I've only rarely needed to call
    them, but for someone who needs more hand-holding, it might be an
    issue.

    I'm having their Unlimited Fibre 2 package, with unlimited anytime
    minutes on the phone (to 01, 02, 03, 0845 & 0870 numbers).
    Other calls are metered to the second, and no call setup fee.
    Other call costs can be found here:
    http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/voice/phone-services/key-uk-call-charges.aspx
    (just disregard the top three lines if you get the "Anytime" minutes).
    I even get to keep the same IP subnet when changing from ADSL2+ to
    FTTC.

    Oh, one thing I just remembered - they don't offer any IPv6 yet.
    Best supplier for that would be A&A, who I regard as being the other
    viable alternative for good quality "premium" (i.e. SOHO quality)
    Internet and phone - I have a friend with them, who is very happy with
    their service.

    Phil W Lee, Aug 24, 2014
  6. Dave

    DrTeeth Guest

    Paying that much money I doubt he'd admit otherwise <g>.
    --
    Cheers,

    DrT

    ** You've never known happiness until you're married;
    ** but by then it is too late.

    DrTeeth, Aug 25, 2014
  7. Dave

    Davey Guest

    Before I moved into this house, I arranged a BT 'phone line and Zen BB.
    BT could not tell me what the number would be, only what it was once it
    was connected, so I couldn't add the number to my change-of-address
    cards; Zen agreed to have ADSL working by a certain Saturday, and in
    fact had it operational by the Wednesday beforehand.
    Having got fed up with BT's weird price changes and interminable
    Rob_Peter_to_pay_Paul billing methods, I now use Zen for 'phone as
    well. The bills are so simple!

    Davey, Aug 25, 2014
  8. They do cost a little more, but you get what you pay for. You get an
    instantaneous data rate that's *really* not artificially limited at
    any time of day (unlike most others which are "traffic managed", which
    apparently doesn't count as the same thing when you're advertising it
    as "unlimited"), and a monthly limit that's clearly stated and can be
    checked online any time. You also get Tech Support who know what
    they're talking about, and are based in England and can communicate by
    phone, email or live online chat, depending on what's appropriate.

    I don't think it's expensive just for the sake of being expensive. If
    you know anyone who can provide the same quality of internet service
    and support service for less, then tell us who they are.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Aug 25, 2014
  9. Dave

    chris Guest

    I'm not sure what you've got against plusnet, but I've had them for line
    rental and BB for several years now, with next to no issues. I have
    their anytime+ package which includes unmetered calls at all times, plus
    20 (I think) international lines.

    I'd heartily recommend them.

    Regarding the price increase I do wonder how many providers will resist
    upping their prices too. I know VM are.

    chris, Aug 25, 2014
  10. Dave

    Dave Guest

    If they advertise on TV etc I tend think they can't be much good - reverse
    login !.
    But from reports (like yours) they don't seem that bad.

    Also they block / 'traffic manage' torrents, Pirate bay etc not really an
    issue with proxies etc thoough.
    Also not a real issue for me directly but I don't like any form of
    censorship... - that's also another issue altogether ...

    Dave, Aug 26, 2014
  11. Dave

    chris Guest

    I don't think they're any different to any ISP, they are just a bit more
    upfront about it.

    Traffic shaping is more of a pragmatic bandwidth management issue rather
    than scary censorship. ISPs know that site blocking is futile, but 'the
    authorities' require it in order to look like they are actively solving
    problems.

    chris, Aug 26, 2014
  12. Dave

    Jim Guest

    No problems with Zen: phone and FTTC. They have real
    customer support people in the north of England, who
    actually answer the phone.

    Jim, Sep 5, 2014
  13. Dave

    Davey Guest

    And they speak English, even if it does have some strange Lancastrian
    accent. <g>

    Davey, Sep 5, 2014