    Should we ALLOW or DENY this Skype 3.0 request?
    What are the ramifications of each decision?

    Thanks!

    Robin Colleen Moore, Dec 30, 2006

  2. Robin Colleen Moore

    William Guest

    I'm not familiar with Skype, but if it popped up when you installed it
    from a reliable source, than perhaps this is just an Extras Manager that
    mentions whatever plugins or addons are available for download, which
    would require it to connect to a server. Perhaps someone else with
    Skype could shed more light on this.

    Regards,

    Will

    William, Dec 30, 2006

  3. Hi!

    Skype search, on-line, if an update exist.

    Consequently, this function has another usage:
    paranoiac-security-detection.

    Sorry, he found... you !

    Michel Claveau, Dec 30, 2006
  4. Robin Colleen Moore

    Yum Cimil Guest

    Wear yout tinfoil hat?

    Yum Cimil, Dec 30, 2006
  5. Robin Colleen Moore

    B. Nice Guest

    You have decided to intstall/run Skype - which means you have decided
    to trust the Skype program. Then why don't you just let it do what
    it's designed to do instead of worrying about ZA alarms?
    If you don't trust Skype, use something else.

    BTW, 129.6.15.28 seems to be a public ntp (time) server.
    Yes. That's the problem with personal firewalls like ZA.
    You should know. You installed ZA to present you with such kind of
    worries.

    B. Nice, Dec 30, 2006
  6. Robin Colleen Moore

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    This is where 129.5.15.28 points to, which is NIST.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...+Standards+and+Technology+&btnG=Google+Search

    You can use Arin Whois and find that out be entering the IP in the
    search box.

    http://www.arin.net/index.shtml
    That's for you to make that determination if it's legit or not.
    It's on you to make contact with Skype or NIST and find out what is
    happening. It's on you and no one else. It's your machine and no one
    else's machine.

    On the other hand, you can uninstall skypePM.exe if you don't want it
    running, according to this.

    <snip>
    Is it possible to turn off/disable the 'do more' option and not have the
    skypepm process running?

    Yes, just delete it,( Progam Files\Skype\Pluin Manager folder and run
    the uninstall.exe) and next time you download, (save run screen) go to
    options and untick that feature)

    <snip>

    I suggest you get on the phone and talk to Skype or contact them by
    email. It's on you as to what you're going to do. The buck stops with you.

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 30, 2006
  7. Robin Colleen Moore

    Drake Guest

    Apparently SkyPE is trying to reach an NTP (Network Time Protocol) server:

    129.6.15.28
    time-a.nist.gov
    Host unreachable

    129.6.0.0 - 129.6.255.255

    100 Bureau Drive Stop 8953
    Gaithersburg
    MD
    20899-8953
    United States

    Drake, Dec 30, 2006
  8. I found out what the Skype 3.0 message was trying to tell me.

    It is used only with the apparently OPTIONAL "Tools" "Do More" command.
    Under that command are the following ......
    * Share Whiteboard with Sketch Pad
    * Animated Video Calls with Crazy Talk
    * Share Applications with Unyte
    * Record Calls with Pamela
    * Analysis Stress with KishKish
    * eMotive Ringjacker
    * Personalize Radio with Last.fm
    * Chinese Checkers
    * Backgammon
    * Organize My Extras
    * Get Extras

    I have set ZoneAlarm to always DENY these requests as I have no time for
    dribble.

    Hopefully this post will help the next Skype user too.

    Robin Colleen Moore, Dec 30, 2006
  9. Without being too direct, I would say your attitude needs a serious
    adjustment in my very humble opinion.

    You TRUST every program you install? That's incredulous.

    Do you know what RealPlayer is doing behind your back? Do you realize that
    Adobe Acrobat phones home constantly? Do you suspect that almost every
    program you install has the potential to report back to the maker your
    day-to-day actions?

    You're obviosly not a security expert if you trust every program you choose
    to install to do what IT thinks is the right thing to do.

    nuff said

    Robin Colleen Moore, Dec 30, 2006
  10. I've determined the program (skypePM.exe) is optional.
    Worse, it provides features I don't want and don't even know what they are
    as listed in a previous post.

    I've permanently denied this program from accessing the trusted zone, from
    accessing the Internet, and from being a server.

    I post this so that the next Skype user can benefit from the information.

    Robin Colleen Moore, Dec 30, 2006
  11. The wierd thing is that the time is not one of the (very many) items in the
    drop-down list for the Skype 3.0 Tools->Do More listing.

    Robin Colleen Moore, Dec 30, 2006
  12. Robin Colleen Moore

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    I'll lay dollars to a donut that program will beat ZA to the punch, get
    out to the Internet and make contact. It will happen when you boot the
    machine and logon, because ZA is not an integrated part of the XP O/S.
    If ZA was an integrated part of the O/S and it's not, then the O/S would
    not allow any TCP/IP connections by programs, until such time the O/S
    started ZA, which it can't do as the O/S does not have any dependencies
    waiting on ZA.

    What you should be doing is either removing the program off of the
    machine by deleting it or if the file system the O/S is using is NTFS,
    then you go to the O/S and set the program's permissions to not
    (execute) - not run period.

    The buck stops with the O/S and not ZA.

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 30, 2006
  13. Robin Colleen Moore

    B. Nice Guest

    You are very welcome to have that opinion. In my very humble opinion
    you need to reconsider your security concept.
    Of course. Otherwise I would'nt install it.
    No. Because I'm not using it.
    Really? Except looking for program updates that could be security
    related - exactly what does it phone home about? What personal related
    info does it send out of your system?
    Your point being?
    Since you rely on something like ZA to protect you from programs
    "phoning home" you obviously are'nt either.

    B. Nice, Dec 30, 2006
  14. Robin Colleen Moore

    Jim Ford Guest

    Not only that, there are folk on this forum that profess to be security
    experts, that are running Thunderbird 1.0.7 - 15 critical security fixes
    behind the current issue!

    Jim Ford

    Jim Ford, Dec 30, 2006
  15. Robin Colleen Moore

    Death5 Guest

    Not only that, you got people running around in the NG needing to nit
    pick. Apparently, this person doesn't seem to know that a program and
    the machine have to be put into a position to be attacked.

    One place I am currently working, they are still running a version of
    IE 6 that's three years old and I don't know that last time it was
    updated. I don't even know when the last time XP Pro on the machines has
    been updated with security fixes, although they do take care of those
    servers. The XP Pro machines and IE itself are NOT being attacked due
    to this, because IT has a big old proxy setting there blocking user
    access to damn near everything on the Internet, even though most of its
    end-user base jobs are to be on the Internet, dealing with out side
    clients, with the solution. Its end-user base is educated on the use of
    computers in a work environment and everything is locked down. Those
    users go where IT wants them to go and nowhere else.

    I'll give you a little hint on this too, I am running a version of XP
    Pro on this laptop that's not a legal copy and has NOT received a
    critical update and in ages. It's not being attacked because it has not
    received the updates, because the machine is NOT put into a position to
    be attacked.

    Again, the program and the machine have to be put into a position to be
    attacked. If neither one of them are in that position, then your point
    here is moot.

    Death5, Dec 30, 2006