    funcionality returns, but only for about an hour, then the probs start
    again. I have also disabled Avast and Zone Alarm, but that doesn't help
    either.

    J, Aug 24, 2010

  2. J

    Mike Easter Guest

    You didn't say anything about your connectivity, but I see that your
    provider is virgin media, which virgin has both cable and dsl broadband.

    In the US, typical cable bandwidth is very asymmetrical, designed to be
    predominantly down without nearly as much up.

    If someone comes along in my neighborhood and becomes a 'bandwidth hog'
    in any form, whether it is too much down or up, it causes trouble for
    those in the neighborhood who are sharing cable broadband with the
    bandwidth hog.

    Consequently some broadband providers have taken to all kinds of
    strategies to identify and curtail the activities of bandwidth hogs, and
    they don't announce what those strategies are going to be or how they
    are going to employ them - that is, how they will put the strategy into
    effect to curtail the actions of the bandwidth hog.

    In terms of cable, your uploading activity would be considered to be
    hogging the up bandwidth. If you were in my neighborhood, I would hope
    that my provider would curtail your activity with whatever strategy it
    wanted to, such as just cutting you off if your upstream activity
    exceeded some arbitrary value for very long.

    Mike Easter, Aug 24, 2010

  3. J

    J Guest

    Thanks! I never even thought of that, as I have uploaded bulk videos before,
    but it does feel like that's exactly what must be happening. I will take
    this issue up with virgin media and see what they say about it. They'll
    probably say "cough up for a dearer package" I'd imagine.

    J, Aug 24, 2010
  4. J

    Cash Guest

    Have a look at this link for their traffic management procedures:

    http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

    Cash

    Cash, Aug 25, 2010
  5. J

    Mike Easter Guest

    Whoa! That is bad.

    I can't believe that they are claiming that those policies would only
    affect the top 5% of the customers. That is terrible download (also
    upload) and I don't even know what constitutes S M M+ L XL & XXL classes.

    Maybe that table just means, 'this might happen' - but then it doesn't
    actually happen unless you are really hogging much much more than those
    numbers.

    (Perhaps) They publish a tight table to motivate people to use their
    bandwidth conservatively and to motivate them to move their bigger usage
    to the off hours.

    Mike Easter, Aug 25, 2010
  6. is there a way to limit your upload bandwidth uploading to youtube?
    like in vuze or slsk i can deliberately set it to a fair amount under what
    the max allowed upload is.
    since i have done this i have experienced little throttling.
    i used to get it a lot when it was all maxing out, since vuze and p2p [if
    used normally] use the upload aswell as download quite a bit.
    virgin, ah. you shouldnt need to upgrade, they do that for you!
    i mean i started of with 4mb now its 10mb same price!

    Zu Arsschlaark!, Aug 25, 2010
  7. J

    Aardvark Guest

    Anyone I know who has a Virgin connection is cable. I don't think they
    really push the xDSL that much.
    Yup. Here on my Virgin Media 10 M cable connection, we typically get 7 or
    8 down, about 450 kb up. Uptime is close to 100%- the only time we were
    fully cut off was one weekend about two months ago, for which we received
    an automatic rebate. Not bad, considering we've been using the ISP for
    about 8 years, when it was NTL.

    Aardvark, Aug 29, 2010