"You're so ugly, you could be a modern-art masterpiece!"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Feb 2, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Feb 2, 2012

  2. RichA

    Irwell Guest

    Irwell, Feb 2, 2012

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Getting nancy-boys who drive them in Hollywood noticed?

    RichA, Feb 2, 2012
  4. Well, "pretty" and "ugly" are aesthetic matters, hence they're matters
    of personal taste.

    There's absolutely no question that a Jeep does a better job under some
    conditions, though. (Or the Ferrari in others.)

    Are there any conditions (not so super-specific as to be mere stunts)
    where there's serious question which of those two would do better?

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 2, 2012
  5. That might be the right idea. Jeep is too big, Ferrari doesn't like the
    stop and go? (Although many of the jeeps do have quite small turning
    circles.)

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 2, 2012
  6. Ah, but the question was what situations would a Jeep and a Ferrari be
    *competitive* in -- what situations is it not obvious which one would be
    best? I'm wondering if their practical range of application overlaps
    *at all*.

    Clearly the ferrari would win on a drag strip, and on a twisty
    well-paved road. Clearly the Jeep would win in real off-road terrain.

    (Where "win" is a question of "doing better" at the task, not just a
    simple-minded "faster" or something. Which means some cases will be
    arguable, but that's half the fun.)

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 2, 2012
  7. Depends on the Ferrari, some of them don't really have anyplace to carry
    something as big as a grocery bag except the passenger seat -- so they
    couldn't carry a normal shopping trip worth of groceries.

    But they've been making a wider range of models in recent years I guess,
    so my immediate reaction may be out of date.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 3, 2012
  8. Quite possibly; adding brute force under the hood is relatively cheap.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 3, 2012
  9. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    Robert Coe, Feb 3, 2012
  10. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : > On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 17:30:29 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet <>
    : > wrote:
    : >
    : >>
    : >>> On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 15:41:58 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet <>
    : >>> wrote:
    : >>>
    : >>>>
    : >>>>> On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 13:17:13 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet <>
    : >>>>> wrote:
    : >>>>>
    : >>>>>>
    : >>>>>>> On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 06:45:29 -0800 (PST), RichA wrote:
    : >>>>>>>
    : >>>>>>>> Will all due credit to the writers of "Full Metal Jacket."
    : >>>>>>>>
    : >>>>>>>> http://4.s.img-dpreview.com/files/news/4846894009/K-01-Group01.jpg?v=1322
    : >>>>>>>
    : >>>>>>> A Jeep is ugly compared to a Ferrari, does a better job
    : >>>>>>> under some conditions.
    : >>>>>>
    : >>>>>>Well, "pretty" and "ugly" are aesthetic matters, hence they're matters
    : >>>>>>of personal taste.
    : >>>>>>
    : >>>>>>There's absolutely no question that a Jeep does a better job under some
    : >>>>>>conditions, though. (Or the Ferrari in others.)
    : >>>>>>
    : >>>>>>Are there any conditions (not so super-specific as to be mere stunts)
    : >>>>>>where there's serious question which of those two would do better?
    : >>>>>
    : >>>>> Driving through London. (I think the Ferrari's clutch would start to
    : >>>>> complain.)
    : >>>>
    : >>>>That might be the right idea. Jeep is too big, Ferrari doesn't like the
    : >>>>stop and go? (Although many of the jeeps do have quite small turning
    : >>>>circles.)
    : >>>
    : >>> "Jeep is too big"?
    : >>>
    : >>> I guess I'm showing my age. I meant a proper Jeep as in
    : >>> http://www.homiefm.de/fotos/thementanztee/02/WWII_Army_Jeep.jpg
    : >>> but when I went sewarch Google images for a picture of a proper Jeep I
    : >>> found all kinds of bloated SUVs masquerading under that name. At least
    : >>> I didn't see a Hummer.
    : >>
    : >>Ah, but the question was what situations would a Jeep and a Ferrari be
    : >>*competitive* in -- what situations is it not obvious which one would be
    : >>best? I'm wondering if their practical range of application overlaps
    : >>*at all*.
    : >>
    : >>Clearly the ferrari would win on a drag strip, and on a twisty
    : >>well-paved road. Clearly the Jeep would win in real off-road terrain.
    : >>
    : >>(Where "win" is a question of "doing better" at the task, not just a
    : >>simple-minded "faster" or something. Which means some cases will be
    : >>arguable, but that's half the fun.)
    : >
    : > Bringing back the groceries from the supermarket?
    :
    : Depends on the Ferrari, some of them don't really have anyplace to carry
    : something as big as a grocery bag except the passenger seat -- so they
    : couldn't carry a normal shopping trip worth of groceries.
    :
    : But they've been making a wider range of models in recent years I guess,
    : so my immediate reaction may be out of date.

    You're overlooking the obvious: If you're of the income class that can afford
    the Ferrari, you'd drive it home, and your chauffeur would follow with the
    groceries in the Jeep.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 4, 2012