    wannabe-upscale banks call them cheques.

    The spellings have always been chosen according to the
    intended market.

    kashe, Nov 9, 2005

  2. Annika1980

    kashe Guest

    Actually, standardized othography is a fairly recent
    development in language. Shakespeare was known to spell his name in at
    least a dozen ways.

    Some changes may also have come about as a result of using
    typewriters, which tended not to have a lot of foeign diacritical
    marks. I suspect that's the reason the long vowel and the aspiration
    marks disappeared from Irish Gaelic some years back. They were
    replaced with the slash and a letter 'h' which could be found on a
    typewriter. However, I think they make the words harder to read than
    they used to be, at least for someone who doesn't read it daily.

    kashe, Nov 9, 2005

  3. Annika1980

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Yes, I still remember the sign at the border near Seattle.
    "Children of the some mother, separated by a common language."

    How true.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 9, 2005