    representing. I'm amazed how they don't realize that these phony ministers
    are taking more advantage of them than those who they claim to fight against
    actually do.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Nov 7, 2005

  2. And it's closed too.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Nov 7, 2005

  3. Fine. To start this effort to be 100% positive, we'll make that
    first 1 out of 1000 *you*. Then everyone left can sit down and
    discuss what comes next.

    That's reasonable.

    Floyd Davidson, Nov 7, 2005
  4. An astoundingly unreasoned response to a clear and serious injustice.

    Floyd Davidson, Nov 7, 2005
  5. It would seem to me that commerciality would not be the critical
    factor; putting something on the Web is a form of publication,
    whether for profit or not.

    Michael Urban, Nov 7, 2005
  6. Annika1980

    Jer Guest

    Somehow I don't think the "safety of society" is a done deal so long as
    that same society is willing to accept the notion of an innocent being
    wrongly executed simply because of some twisted perception of a greater
    good. Society can't have it's cake and eat it. To consider this to be
    possible, let alone acceptable, is an open invitation to anarchy and the
    destruction of it's core sure to follow. If the hangman's noose hangs
    at all, it hangs for all.

    Jer, Nov 7, 2005
  7. Annika1980

    Frank ess Guest

    Maybe he could offer a job to Martha?

    No, seriously: prior to her incarceration, Martha had a reputation for
    treating nearly everyone around her like dirt. I mean really _mean_
    stuff, dressing down her employees and servers in public for outcomes
    beyond their control, and so forth.

    I hope she found something in her experience that at least tempers
    that penchant a bit. Maybe hanging out so near to God (I _know_ He
    lives in jail: so many seem to find Him there) for a few months had a
    beneficial effect.

    Frank ess, Nov 7, 2005
  8. Annika1980

    Bill Funk Guest

    I don't think that's true.
    For example, if I put these photos on my site, no one can complain.
    However, if I *sold* prints of those photos, I'd be in serious
    trouble, as I have no model releases.
    If I have a commercial site, even one with just with ads, I can be
    accused of making money off the site, including the content; again, I
    run afoul of copyright laws.
    It's not publication that's the problem, it's the money-making that
    can be a problem.

    This is very different from, say, publishing copyrighted music on my
    non-commercial site. I own the copyright to my photos.

    Bill Funk, Nov 7, 2005
  9. Annika1980

    Charlie Self Guest

    Well, if there's ANY doubt at all, it seems to me that a fast phone
    call to a local lawyer with some experience in copyright law might be
    worth the money it costs. We can all probably pontificate on one side
    or the other, but we do not KNOW.

    Charlie Self, Nov 7, 2005
  10. Annika1980

    Cathy Guest

    I saw on the news last night that they got that guy who escaped from
    Houston jail.

    Cathy

    Cathy, Nov 7, 2005
  11. Annika1980

    Cathy Guest

    Is DWI, the same as DUI? 4 years seems a long time for driving under the
    influence, or does DWI mean something more serious? Did he injure
    someone? Good that he learned his lesson and reformed. Too many don't,
    unfortunately.

    Cathy

    Cathy, Nov 7, 2005
  12. Semantics; Driving while intoxicated versus Driving under the influence.
    Stupid regardless, I drink as much or more than anyone and in adult life
    have separated the two drinking and driving. IMOP only assholes feel
    they can do both at the same time, similar to cell phone use.

    Hoo Flung Poo, Nov 7, 2005
  13. If you make enough calls to attorneys, eventually what you will
    come to know... is that Bill Funk's description is *very* good.

    Consider, for example, that if you are on vacation and take
    pictures of common tourist sights in any number of places,
    without some huge effort to avoid it many or most of these
    images will show a variety of people. You can "publish" those
    images in any non-commercial way you like without obtaining a
    model release from any of the people shown. If you have a
    personal web site with a page full of vacation pictures that
    just happens to show a few hundreds of other people, that's
    fine. Or if the newspaper writes a story on your round the
    world trip, they can use one of your pictures to illustrate
    the article.

    On the other hand... if you take a picture a coffee cup being
    held in some person's hand, and that *hand* is visible in the
    image, you cannot use the picture in a TV advertizement to sell
    coffee cups without a model release from the owner of that hand!

    Floyd Davidson, Nov 8, 2005
  14. Annika1980

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Indeed they did, until the next time he escapes. At least he didn't
    kill anyone else this time, unlike the 'Texas 7' a few years back.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 8, 2005
  15. Annika1980

    Ron Hunter Guest

    He is never said, and I haven't asked. I assume that in order to get
    that kind of sentence, someone was killed, or seriously injured. And
    DWI=DUI.

    The actual sentence was 10 years, but he got time off for good
    behaviour. (my spell-checker doesn't like that spelling, but since I am
    responding to a Canadian, I thought I would use it).

    Ron Hunter, Nov 8, 2005
  16. Annika1980

    Cathy Guest

    It was on CNN just now again about finding him at Shreveport, where he
    was drunk. Maybe he shouldn't have stopped for a drink :)

    Cathy

    Cathy, Nov 8, 2005
  17. Annika1980

    Cathy Guest

    Yes, I would think it must have been very serious or he wouldn't have
    received such a long sentence. I realized later, DWI would be driving
    while intoxicated, which is another name for
    driving under the influence.
    Well, in Toronto at least (don't know about the rest of Canada), half
    the time we spell stuff the American way and half the time in our old
    British roots way. Its like we can't make up our minds :) Words such as
    organize, categorize, minimize, are usually spelled here with a "z", but
    favourite, colour, glamour, usually have a "u" in them. But I am used to
    seeing messages in newsgroups spelled the American way as there are a
    lot of you Americans on NG's I frequent. Such a considerate guy you are
    :)

    Cathy

    Cathy, Nov 8, 2005
  18. Annika1980

    Cathy Guest

    influence.

    Yes, I thought about it later. They are the same thing, just using
    different terms.
    I agree.

    Cathy

    Cathy, Nov 8, 2005
  19. Annika1980

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I have been an avid reader since I was in the first grade, reading from
    the adult section of the library since the second grade, and such
    spellings weren't uncommon, even in the US in the 1950's, so they seem
    normal to me. Sometime in the 1960's and 1970's, journalists seem to
    have decided to modify spelling of many words to make it more
    economical, and dropped many 'unnecessary' letters from words,
    ostensibly to save ink. I still feel more comfortable with the older
    spellings. Of course the dictionary I grew up with was the one my
    mother used when she was in school, and it defined uranium as 'a rare
    useless white metal'. It was copyright 1912....

    It is interesting how a language changes in 55 years.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 8, 2005
  20. Annika1980

    Cathy Guest

    It must be a very interesting dictionary. Do you still have it?
    Yes, I agree with what you said above. The Yanks gradually dropped
    certain letters. Maybe originally it was to save ink, but it stuck, but
    less is not always better. We are kind of half influenced by British
    spellings and half being next door to you guys :)

    Cathy

    Cathy, Nov 8, 2005