Your opinions as to best newsreader program?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mentalguy2004, Mar 31, 2006.

  1. mentalguy2004

    Trax Guest

    |>>I really find that hard to believe.
    |>> "They" (Fort'e) have said many times before that Agent will never
    |>>support HTML.

    |>From Forte's website http://www.forteinc.com/agent/roadmap.php
    |>
    |>"Agent 4.x The next stream focuses on <Snip> HTML rendering.

    I still find it hard to believe, they were really adamant about it,
    but as you mention'd in a prior post times have changed.

    Trax, Apr 2, 2006

  2. mentalguy2004

    Mara Guest

    The phrases "focuses on communications overload in newsgroups" and "HTML
    rendering" are mutually exclusive.

    "Weasel-wording."

    Mara, Apr 2, 2006

  3. mentalguy2004

    Spuds Guest

    Thanks.
    Don't know why Agent 3.x started requiring users to enter sig delimiters
    manually. Previous versions didn't.

    Ah, it feels nice to be compliant. <g>

    Spuds, Apr 2, 2006
  4. mentalguy2004

    Spuds Guest

    And think of the money that 2400 baud modem cost you.

    Spuds, Apr 2, 2006
  5. mentalguy2004

    Spuds Guest

    It seems that it's an oft requested addition. And you know what they say
    about the customer always being right. Even though they seldom are.

    Spuds, Apr 2, 2006
  6. mentalguy2004

    Trax Guest

    |>>Wasn't that a drag, to have a 2400 baud modem, but everybody you were
    |>>mailing to only had 1200.

    |>And think of the money that 2400 baud modem cost you.

    270 bucks, which I also like to say was the price of one of my son's
    :)

    Met my son's mom thru a BBS. which was directly related to my purchase
    of that modem.

    Trax, Apr 2, 2006
  7. mentalguy2004

    Trax Guest

    |>>I still find it hard to believe, they were really adamant about it,
    |>>but as you mention'd in a prior post times have changed.

    |>It seems that it's an oft requested addition. And you know what they say
    |>about the customer always being right. Even though they seldom are.

    I don't know, if you want to start a flame war go to
    alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent and ask why Agent won't show
    HTML.

    Trax, Apr 2, 2006
  8. So you only loved her for her baud, eh? :)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 2, 2006
  9. mentalguy2004

    Trax Guest

    |>> 270 bucks, which I also like to say was the price of one of my son's :)
    |>>
    |>> Met my son's mom thru a BBS. which was directly related to my purchase of
    |>> that modem.

    |>So you only loved her for her baud, eh? :)

    LOL!!1!!

    Nice one! and yes :)!

    Trax, Apr 2, 2006
  10. mentalguy2004

    Mara Guest

    1.93 does. At least it does for me, but then I'm the QoE, which can cause all
    kinds of strange things to happen when I'm around. Machines have been known to
    start working simply by me glaring at them. No kidding - twice last week I got
    called down to fix a machine that started working just as I walked into the
    room. Spooky.

    Couldn't be a PEBKAC, could it? Surely not. LOL
    I'm a stickler for compliance. Or complaints. Or something. <g>

    Mara, Apr 2, 2006
  11. mentalguy2004

    Mara Guest

    I'll change it *for* them if that's what it takes. My tool of choice for this is
    a construction-grade hammer, but since I actually get paid to do this, I don't
    get to use it often, sadly.

    "I *did* use a 20-gauge shotgun on my old Linksys 4-port when it quit, though.
    Made a nice skeet target - wish I'd gotten pics."

    Mara, Apr 2, 2006
  12. mentalguy2004

    Mara Guest

    BWHAHAHA! My sig file strikes again!!1!!!

    People in the computer industry use the word "user", which to them
    means "idiot". --Dave Barry

    Mara, Apr 2, 2006
  13. mentalguy2004

    Spuds Guest

    "I don't understand it. It didn't do that before you got here. You must've
    done something..."
    Hey, I might've been born at night, but it wasn't _last_ night. <g>

    Spuds, Apr 2, 2006
  14. mentalguy2004

    Spuds Guest

    I've been subscribed to that group for months. And yep, I've seen the
    discussions. Purists like us are against it, but pragmatists insist that HTML
    mail is a reality.

    Spuds, Apr 2, 2006
  15. mentalguy2004

    Mara Guest

    AAAAAAAIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!1!!!!!!

    Mara, Apr 2, 2006
  16. mentalguy2004

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Spuds.

    9600 when I finally got to use a modem rather than the packages on a
    floppy, but used 300/300 and 1200/75 on a C64 ;)

    Ponder, Apr 2, 2006
  17. <small, tasetful bow>

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 2, 2006
  18. I terminated my Epson C62 printer with a claw hammer this winter.

    Damn, that felt good.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 2, 2006
  19. mentalguy2004

    Whiskers Guest

    There's a nice slrn macro for 'rendering' the HTML part of a
    'Multipart-MIME' article; it strips it all away, displaying just the
    'plain text', and appends a little comment telling the user what it's
    done. (See "Processing OE multipart mime messages" at
    <http://www.geocities.com/tsca.geo/slang.html>). Of course, that doesn't
    work with 'pure' HTML or broken messages.

    I hope that Forte don't include *sending* HTML to newsgroups in their
    future versions.

    Whiskers, Apr 2, 2006
  20. mentalguy2004

    Mara Guest

    That's a 14 Gajillion dollar fine and 6,000 years in jail for that one. Plus an
    extra $2 for misspelling "tasteful."

    "You can attempt to plea-bargain on it, but I don't think the Judge will be
    inclined to be lenient. That was...it was....<shudder>"

    Mara, Apr 2, 2006