    I'll ask him tomorrow if he remembers what he used for the test, but it's been a
    bit ago. I really don't remember for sure, but it had to have been either KMail
    or Sylpheed, AFAICR.

    Mara, Apr 1, 2006

  2. That's really strange, Mara.
    Ah. I didn't even think about using an email client, even though it was
    HTML email we were talking about. I only thought about using what HTML
    newbs so often do, which is use an MS app for lack of knowing any better,
    and ending up with horrible MS code. This was influenced on the shit that
    people bring to alt.html and alt.www.webmaster looking for help, which is,
    in that scenario, generally along the lines of "shit-can everything you
    have and start from scratch without any MS 'help'."

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2006

  3. mentalguy2004

    Mara Guest

    In fact he's the one that got me started with it, years ago.
    Well, if it can muck up an e-mail that bad, I wouldn't even try it for a
    newsgroup post. In fact I usually just bin people who post in HTML on usenet, at
    least for a bit. Luckily it shows up here as an empty post with an attachment,
    so I don't have to stab myself in the eyes actually reading it.

    Most of our machines at work are running Office 2003. The newer ones that we've
    gotten since I became the CTO are running OpenOffice. The machine I am currently
    stuck with there has Office 2003, and I loathe it. Nobody in the building had
    ever used it, so of course now they want *me* to come up with all their
    spreadsheets and crap. I've learned a lot more about Excel in the past couple of
    weeks than I ever wanted to, and now I feel like I need to take my brain out and
    disinfect it with a good strong bleach solution just to make sure the
    contamination is gone.

    I'm off to bed. If you haven't lately, nip on over to the OpenOffice site and
    take a quick look.

    "You can sure tell what day it is now. ;)"

    Mara, Apr 1, 2006
  4. I might create send myself a "hellow world" HTML email in Kmail, since
    that's my primary client.
    I have to say I really didn't have any complaints about Excel, back when
    I was using it. I ended up there from Lotus and Quattro Pro, on my way to
    Open Office.
    Heh. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2006
  5. mentalguy2004

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Blinky the Shark.

    No, was using Micronet on a C64 :)

    Ponder, Apr 1, 2006
  6. mentalguy2004

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Spuds.

    2:442/628 ;)

    Ponder, Apr 1, 2006
  7. mentalguy2004

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Spuds.

    Can't say I've had a problem with Dialog crashing to be honest, but if it
    doesn't work for you then there's little point in trying it.

    Ponder, Apr 1, 2006
  8. mentalguy2004

    SuperSano Guest

    Your sig's broken.

    I don't have trouble with Dialog, but for some reason, maybe my scoring
    file isn't right, it doesn't show every post in this ng. Or maybe it
    just doesn't handle the score file properly. (98SE) 2.0 Beta 38 (Built
    2.0.15.1).

    SuperSano, Apr 1, 2006
  9. mentalguy2004

    Seatoller Guest

    Oh, gawd....not 'IM!

    Seatoller, Apr 1, 2006
  10. mentalguy2004

    Mara Guest

    This really got my curiosity up, so we repeated the test this morning. He's
    using KMail, which, when it comes through, only shows the attachment in Agent,
    and that without the headers which the plain text post has, so I then saved the
    HTML file as a text file and added the headers to it. Both files opened in
    Notepad.

    On my end, Properties show:

    Plain text: 1.52kb (1561 bytes)
    HTML: 1.69kb (1731 bytes)

    We repeated the experiment, with him sending both files as attachments.
    Results:

    Test HTML: 1.1kb.
    Plain text: 569 bytes.

    This is probably the more reliable of the two tests. Especially since I'm very
    groggy this morning and haven't had enough coffee to turn my blood brown yet (my
    normal condition.)

    This is what I actually *see* in the files, after I convert the HTML to plain
    text. (I had to do quite a bit of editing as both he and I are privacy freaks.
    Also, note that the "qrichtext" is *part of the HTML portion* of the text.)

    Plain-text:
    From [REDACTED] Sat Apr 01 07:05:35 2006
    From: [My friend]
    To: [My private address]
    Subject: Hello :)
    Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 14:05:35 +0100

    This is a test
    HTML:

    From: [My friend]
    To: [My private address]
    Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 14:06:56 +0100
    content="1" /></head><body

    style="font-size:12pt;font-family:Sans Serif">
    style="color:#6f15de"> is a test </span></p>

    "And thus ends today's lesson in 'Everything you didn't want to know about HTML
    e-mail, and didn't want to find out.'"

    Mara, Apr 1, 2006
  11. mentalguy2004

    Mara Guest

    I considered the C64 a step up from the TI 99 4a I was using then. <g>

    Mara, Apr 1, 2006
  12. Dialog has never crashed for me either. It's really a good newsreader.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 1, 2006
  13. mentalguy2004

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Mara.

    I know when I'm flogging a dead horse. I'm not anal enough to talk to
    someone I've killfiled ;)

    Ponder, Apr 1, 2006
  14. Either ratios seems reasonable, given all that header volume. As you saw,
    the amount of markup is trivial:

    Ack, Shirley, I found it interesting.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2006
  15. mentalguy2004

    Spuds Guest

    At 1200 baud!

    Spuds, Apr 2, 2006
  16. mentalguy2004

    Spuds Guest

    How so?
    I found getting copious amounts of headers would make it fall over regularly.
    Didn't have much problem with pure text use.

    Spuds, Apr 2, 2006
  17. mentalguy2004

    Spuds Guest

    You're right. Personally, I'd never even open an HTML usenet posting.
    Sadly, HTML mail seems to be gaining in popularity. Grandmas and casual users
    seem awestruck by smileys and pretty colours. Unlike Usenet, I don't have a
    choice if I want to communicate with those OE-bound Luddites. <g>
    I'm hoping Agent will be able to render it simply by stripping out the tags
    and showing the underlying text.

    Spuds, Apr 2, 2006
  18. mentalguy2004

    Spuds Guest

    From Forte's website http://www.forteinc.com/agent/roadmap.php

    "Agent 4.x The next stream focuses on communications overload in newsgroups
    and email. Agent 4.0 harnesses the power of Bayesian statistical models to
    detect junk messages. Agent will include new trust-based models for white
    listing, message routing, filtering, and HTML rendering. Even your personas
    will be managed automatically as you compose news and email messages."

    Spuds, Apr 2, 2006
  19. mentalguy2004

    Mara Guest

    It's dash-dash-spacebar-Enter, then the text. You're lacking the space after the
    dashes, so it didn't snip correctly. The weird thing is that it did on this
    post, for me, and you still don't have the space.

    "I'd fix it anyway, just for RFC compliance's sake."

    <snip>

    Mara, Apr 2, 2006
  20. mentalguy2004

    Trax Guest

    |>>Hiya Spuds.

    |>> 2:442/628 ;)

    |>At 1200 baud!

    Wasn't that a drag, to have a 2400 baud modem, but everybody you were
    mailing to only had 1200.

    Trax, Apr 2, 2006