Your opinions as to best newsreader program?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mentalguy2004, Mar 31, 2006.

  1. Currently using OE, thinking about trying something (useful) different.

    What in your expert opinions is the best to use for text groups? Thanks!

    mentalguy2004, Mar 31, 2006

  2. In WinWorld, Xnews. http://xnews.newsguy.com

    Consider Googling the newsgroup news.software.readers with keyphrases

    best newsreader

    or

    best news client

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 31, 2006

  3. mentalguy2004

    Jimchip Guest

    Since you have access to USENET, try the newsgroup news.software.readers
    but read some messages first. Don't just ask *your* question...
    (It's been answered already).

    Jimchip, Mar 31, 2006
  4. mentalguy2004

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Mara.

    Agent has been surpassed ;)

    http://www.40tude.com/dialog

    Ponder, Mar 31, 2006
  5. Good. :)

    When 3.0 came out, there was a far uproar in news.software.readers, and it
    wasn't uproarious praise, even thought it came from Agent *fans*. One of
    the Forte guys even joined in, copped a 'tude, and if rumors are correct,
    was reprimanded for his behavior in the group (and I think someone else is
    now representing Forte there). Anyway, I only bring this up as exposition
    -- my point in posting being that I thought you might find it useful that
    someone was apparently listening, because I've heard good things about
    3.2x.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 31, 2006
  6. If you say that from personal experience, have you run Agent 3.2x, or are
    you still using old versions for your comparison?

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 31, 2006
  7. Heck, I answered it right here, with the same result he'll get in n.s.r:
    Xnews. :)

    (Seriously, though, n.s.r is a great group for anyone truly interested in
    NNTP clients. There be wizards.)

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 31, 2006
  8. mentalguy2004

    Jimchip Guest

    I was going to add that several n.s.r contributors regularly post 'here' (I
    know, I know, "TIN...).
    And, I do remember Xnews...It always worked well for me.
    "and trolls, and flames, and fire"

    Jimchip, Mar 31, 2006
  9. mentalguy2004

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Blinky the Shark.

    Two things I've gotten used to: scripting and random taglines. Add to
    that the fact I'd have to pay for Agent a second time and I stand by my
    original statement :)

    Ponder, Mar 31, 2006
  10. mentalguy2004

    I.F. Guest

    The North American download site appears to have a fault!

    The German mirror site seems to work, but what language will the app be in
    when I get round to opening?

    I.F., Mar 31, 2006
  11. mentalguy2004

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya I.F..

    Whatever language you choose to install.

    Ponder, Mar 31, 2006
  12. Yeah. It's 3.2 that seems to have captured the hearts of the users.
    You don't have to choose that.
    'Kay.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 31, 2006
  13. It's probably the most popular client that I've not tried. IIRC,
    something about the way it was announced in n.s.r was off-putting. I
    remember I didn't try it for *some* such reason, anyway.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 31, 2006
  14. Random tags! Welcome to the 1980s. :)
    There's that.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 31, 2006
  15. Farsi. 40tude is weird, that way. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 31, 2006
  16. Except for Alan Connor, Netkook, it's got a good s/n ratio.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 31, 2006
  17. mentalguy2004

    Mara Guest

    Life is short, and I spend too much time fixing things that *are* broken to want
    to mess with something that isn't. :)

    Mara, Apr 1, 2006
  18. mentalguy2004

    Mara Guest

    Now *there's* a name I'd be quite happy to never see again anywhere in the known
    Universe, let alone the groups I frequent.

    "What a wingnut."

    Mara, Apr 1, 2006
  19. Ayup. I suppose he's still doing his dance over in comp.mail.misc, as
    well. Heaven knows where else he turns up these days. I would guess, for
    one, nanau, but I haven't checked in there for a while. Hmmmmm...maybe
    I'll subscribe for a few days. Not for Alan Connor, Netkook; just
    for general grins...

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2006
  20. Didn't know 3.3x was out. Question stands: s/2/3

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2006