    For you Nikon, Canon, & etc., users, what are the lenses that have
    become legendary for optical quality, construction, & etc?

    Collin

    Cheesehead, Apr 20, 2006

  2. Cheesehead

    Jem Raid Guest

    Interesting post, I nominate the Cooke Triplet from the 1890's
    http://www.cookeoptics.com/cooke.nsf/active/0EABFF909955D1E685256E8500295708

    Their successors Rank Taylor Hobson (well that was what they were called
    last time I went to the factory:) make lenses for Panavision at about
    £20,000.00 each

    Jem

    Jem Raid, Apr 20, 2006

  3. Cheesehead

    Jem Raid Guest

    Jem Raid, Apr 20, 2006
  4. Cheesehead

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    Nikon 105 f2.5 (later version)
    Nikon 17-35 f2.8 AF-S
    Canon 70-200 f4L
    Hassy 50mm f4 T*
    Hassy 150mm f4 T*
    Mamiya 7 50mm f4
    Mamiya 7 80mm f4
    Rollieflex Xenotar 3.5 (I think...)

    Kinon O'Cann, Apr 20, 2006
  5. Cheesehead

    js Guest

    The later Biogons, in particular the 38mm and the 75mm. Planars, too.

    And an assortment of very beautiful pre-1900 lenses that are so large you
    can only use them on very big cameras.

    js, Apr 20, 2006
  6. Cheesehead

    Annika1980 Guest

    For you Nikon, Canon, & etc., users, what are the lenses that have
    ALL Canon lenses are legendary, dude!

    Annika1980, Apr 21, 2006
  7. Cheesehead

    ASAAR Guest

    Bzzzt!!! Wrong. Canon only affixes the "L" to some of its lenses.
    If the legend on the lens lacks that little "L", it ain't legendary.

    ASAAR, Apr 21, 2006
  8. Cheesehead

    y_p_w Guest

    A friend of mine told me about the Canon EF 80-200 2.8L, aka
    the "Magic Drainpipe". I guess it's black while Canon has gone
    to light gray for its successor (the EF 70-200 2.8L). Something
    about reducing heat levels on a sunny day.

    y_p_w, Apr 21, 2006
  9. Cheesehead

    Jim Guest

    I would add the Nikon 180 f2.8 and the Nikon 80-200 f2.8. By the way, one
    of the worst lenses ever made was the Nikon 43-86 (at least the AI and
    pre-AI versions).
    Jim

    Jim, Apr 21, 2006
  10. Cheesehead

    ASAAR Guest

    If heat was a concern with the black version, someone missed an
    opportunity to call it the "Magic Stovepipe".

    ASAAR, Apr 21, 2006
  11. Cheesehead

    y_p_w Guest

    I'm not sure what he uses for indoor sports. I've seen
    him with his Canon EF 400/2.8L. He's got it insured just
    in case it gets killed by a baseball.

    Here's a discussion on the "Magic Drainpipe":

    <http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/263452>

    And some pics of one:

    <http://www.trsqr.net/photo/ef80-200.html>

    y_p_w, Apr 21, 2006
  12. Cheesehead

    ASAAR Guest

    I was surprised to see one person comment about how it wasn't very
    good at the 70mm end but great at 200mm, since the first thing I
    noticed was the apparent vignetting and considerable loss of detail
    at 200mm at the two largest apertures. Maybe I didn't look closely
    enough, but the resolution seemed pretty good at the smaller focal
    lengths. Maybe better was expected from it at the 70mm end?

    ASAAR, Apr 21, 2006
  13. Cheesehead

    Rich Guest

    When NASA was selecting a lens in the early 1970s, they found the
    Planar 100mm (can't remember the speed) to be the highest resolution
    in the focal length they needed.
    -Rich

    Rich, Apr 21, 2006
  14. Cheesehead

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    We in the Pentax world enjoy our most special lenses.
    The Canon 85mm f/1.2 is definitely a legend in some circles. The beauty
    of the lens is lost, however, on those who can only think in terms of
    resolution and autofocus speed.

    Most any of Canon's telephoto "L" line is absolutely top-notch stuff, and
    would almost be considered legendary - except that they've turned out so
    many outstanding performers, that it's just "business as usual". It's
    exactly those image-stabilized telephotos and the 1-series bodies that
    brought Canon from being the odd-man-out to being the 800-pound gorilla in
    sports photography.

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Apr 21, 2006
  15. Cheesehead

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    A friend of mine told me about the Canon EF 80-200 2.8L, aka
    While heat absorbtion may, indeed, be one of the factors causing the use
    of white/beige on many of the "L" telephotos, it was also a marketing ploy:
    With so much 35mm stuff being all black, it makes those big, expensive,
    fancy lenses really stand out in a crowd of photographers along the
    sidelines. Then the amateurs say "Hmmm... look at those pros using "L"
    lenses. I should buy one, too."

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Apr 21, 2006
  16. Cheesehead

    Guest Guest

    That 38mm Biogon was a real keeper. Had one on a Hasselblad.
    Back in the 60's when I was working on the spy-in-the-sky satellite camera
    systems we used the Biogons in an Index camera that rode along with the
    panoramic cameras. We couldn't obtain Biogons except by buying Hasselblads
    and removing the lenses Later we were able to get lenses from Goerz optical
    here in the USA.
    35 years later the project was declassified and a system now resides in the
    Smithsonian Air Museum.
    Old Bob

    Guest, Apr 21, 2006
  17. Cheesehead

    SimonLW Guest

    When Canon redesigned their line of fixed tele L lenses, I was expecting a
    loss in image quality due to the addition of IS. I was, however, completely
    wrong. They are some of the finest telephoto lenses ever produced. The
    300/2.8 IS L has been reported as the sharpest lens tested by some
    independent testers. The 500mm IS L hardly drops in resolution with the 2x
    converter attached (see clarkvision lens charts).
    -S

    SimonLW, Apr 21, 2006
  18. Cheesehead

    Bill Funk Guest

    So *THAT'S* what the "L" stands for! Legendary!

    Bill Funk, Apr 21, 2006
  19. I thought 'L' stood for "Light" as in your wallet. :)

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 21, 2006
  20. Cheesehead

    ASAAR Guest

    You got it. But Canon has one more designation for it's ultimate
    lenses. They're the ones whose legends brag of Impeccable Silicon.
    Canonistas look down their noses at Nikon's inferior equivalents,
    referring to them as Very Rudimentary lenses.

    ASAAR, Apr 21, 2006