Your Comments on Color (Photo) Inkjet printers

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jimmy Smith, Jan 20, 2005.

  1. Jimmy Smith

    Jimmy Smith Guest

    I am currently using an HP 5650 InkJet printer for my photo work. I've have
    tried many different brands and grades of photo paper (ie Kodak, HP, Office
    Depot, Office Max, etc. Matte, Glossy, premium, regular, etc) mostly 8 1/2
    by 11.

    I notice that although my pictures look good, they frequently seem darker
    and not as detailed or crisp as when I'm viewing them on my screen (18" flat
    panel LCD).

    1. Do you have any comments on the HP 5650 printer I am currently using.

    2. In your opinion what is the best printer out there for the photo size
    (or larger) that I am working with at this time?

    Thanks,

    Jimmy

    Jimmy Smith, Jan 20, 2005

  2. As to your pictures appearing darker and not crisp, what color
    correction do you use?

    For printer info:
    comp.periphs.printers

    John McWilliams, Jan 21, 2005

  3. Jimmy Smith

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    I use a 5650 with HP photo cart for casual prints (anything I *really*
    like tends to be sent off for professional printing) - it's a relatively
    cheap and cheerful "workhorse" printer but I've been pleased with the
    photo output -- but I find it perfectly adequate for most of my needs.

    Subjectively, the best results I've had are on Ilford "Galerie A4 Classic
    Gloss" and "Printasia Photo Pearl" paper, the worst on Epson 167gsm
    matte (which I tried as an experiment, and didn't really like the look
    of). Kodak paper was OK, but the Ilford stuff just has a really nice
    look to it. Entirely subjective, I know, but I think my images have
    looked better on Ilford. (I think the Galerie paper is made in Europe
    and the Printasia, as its name suggests, in Japan)
    The colours on an LCD display are very different to a CRT and this may
    be a factor - your LCD may not be well-calibrated. I certainly found that
    when I first migrated from CRT to LCD at home images I'd got looking
    good on screen looked decidedly odd when printed -- the colours,
    brightness and contrast were all very different so what looked good on
    screen did not necessarily look good on paper. A little monitor-tweaking
    and I soon got to a point where what looked good on screen also looked
    good on paper.

    (In general, *serious* photographers still seem to prefer CRT displays
    for image editing...)

    http://desktoppub.about.com/gi/dyna...//pages.prodigy.net/ecmorris/tips/monitor.htm

    and

    http://desktoppub.about.com/gi/dyna...//www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

    are a few steps on the road to calibration. Note that the best monitor setup
    for photo work is not necessarily good for other kinds of usage! ;)
    It's a cheap printer aimed more at text, colour line-art and the
    occasional small inline image than serious photo printing -- I paid
    about $85-$90 for mine in the UK. It'd be unreasonable to expect top-quality
    results, but I'm much happier with its photo performance than I would've
    expected given the price.

    The drivers give you a lot of control over it - make sure you tell it
    what sort of paper you're using, do invest in a photo cart as well as
    the normal colour one, and make sure you're printing at high quality!
    pete

    Pete Fenelon, Jan 21, 2005