YOUNG CHICKS DIG THE 20D !

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, May 21, 2007.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Even the young chicks love the 20D. But it's hard to get good shots
    of the young chicks since they always seem to have their mama around.

    I had to use all the tricks for that capture since the nest was in a
    very tall pine tree.
    The 20D with its 1.6x crop factor helped me get a little closer, but
    also had to stack my teleconverters using both the 2x and the 1.4x on
    the 400 f/5.6L.
    At that magnification any movement will blur the shot so I not only
    used my tripod with mirror lockup and remote shutter release cable,
    but I also attached my monopod to the bottom of the 20D and used it
    as
    an extra leg brace for the back of the camera. This insured that the
    camera wasn't going anywhere and reduces the vibration of the whole
    setup. I focused (manually, of course) with the help of my Right
    Angle Finder "C" with its 2x of magnification.
    The manual focus ring on my 400 f/5.6L is messed up so I have to turn
    it a lot just to get it to move. Something inside it is slipping.
    This makes manually focusing a real pain in the butt. The only other
    problem I faced was the movement of the tall pine tree itself swaying
    back and forth, but fortunately it wasn't so windy today.

    It is situations like this (birds in tall trees) that make me "pine"
    for the 600 f/4L or
    even the 1200 f/5.6L.

    Annika1980, May 21, 2007

  2. Annika1980

    M-M Guest

    You should try a spotting scope. Much cleaner.

    M-M, May 21, 2007

  3. Or a 500 f/4 L IS:
    500 mm +1.4x + 2x:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.bird/web/c12.16.2002.IMG_1365.hawk.b-600.html
    On the above image, I auto-focused with the 1.4x then aded the 2x.

    Note the above combination still autofocuses on 1D series
    cameras. Moon with 500mm + 1.4x + 2x on 1D Mark II auto-focussed:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.astrophoto-1/web/moon-JZ3F3658-60-c-5x-700.html

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), May 21, 2007
  4. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.bird/web/c12.16.2002.IMG...

    That is an angelic looking hawk .... judging by the halos.

    I agree with you, Roger. I really need a 500 f/4. I'll send you my
    address.
    You're probably ready to upgrade to the 600 f/4L or the 1200 f/5.6L
    anyway, right?

    That's pretty much the way I have to focus with my combo since my
    manual focus ring is screwed up. AF with the 400 and then add the
    TCs.
    That is what I suspected. Autofocus to f/8 instead of f/5.6 with the
    D60, 5D, or 20D. That's good to know. Thanks for the info.

    Annika1980, May 21, 2007
  5. Annika1980

    George Kerby Guest

    Great capture, but please turn down the saturation!

    George Kerby, May 21, 2007
  6. Annika1980

    John Sheehy Guest

    Based on Canon's MTF charts for the 1200 f/5.6, it would seem that the
    600mm with a 2x TC would be as sharp or sharper (but 1 stop slower).

    I would imagine that the IS and AF would work better on the 1200 than the
    600 with a 2x.

    John Sheehy, May 23, 2007