You Mean I Won't Be GEtting Paid More for Getting This Cert?

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by TBone, Oct 22, 2007.

  1. TBone

    TBone Guest

    TBone, Oct 22, 2007

  2. TBone

    Jtyc Guest

    Almost every salary survey I've ever read implies that people with 2-year
    I disagree with your hypothisis. I have known a few people in IT were this
    is not the case but the exact opposite.

    Jtyc, Oct 22, 2007

  3. TBone

    John R Guest

    My guess would be that you might be comparing 'those with experience' to
    'those with entry level certifications'. A recent survey by Global
    Knowledge showed that those with Microsoft certs made on average less than
    those who were uncertified. When you consider however that a lot of
    Microsoft certs are considered entry level certs, that would certainly skew
    it. In fact, that is one of the conculsions that the Global Knowledge thing
    showed.

    http://images.globalknowledge.com/wwwimages/pdfs/2007_SalaryReport.pdf

    John R

    John R, Oct 22, 2007
  4. TBone

    Consultant Guest

    i graduated kindergarten and look at me now!

    Consultant, Oct 22, 2007
  5. TBone

    TBone Guest

    Now that I finally managed to load the actual report (@#$% wireless
    internet) I see what they are saying is that non-certified people are
    being paying a higher *premium* for their skills than certified people.
    Its not a measurement of experience, but how much people are being paid
    for their knowledge of a particular skill (all 300+ of them are listed
    in the report).

    Maybe that still proves the point that certs (or at least the MS ones)
    only prove you know the theory and experience is separate from that.
    Oh come on, we all know the 42% of statistics are made up.

    TBone, Oct 22, 2007
  6. TBone

    astyles Guest

    I am not even going to click on this link and read such a story.
    Anyone who tells you that an certified professional is going to make
    less than a un-certified professional has no idea what they are
    talking about. Explain to me WHY such a thing would be true?

    I'm not going to compare getting certified to a college degree because
    that isn't really an apples to apples comparision. College degree vs.
    experience- now there is a just comparison.

    Don't believe everything you read. Talk to veterans in the industry,
    talk to people at staffing firms and HR. Ask those people about jobs
    you actually want to get- not about general IT. If you want to be a
    manager go to college. If you want to be an engineer, get
    certifications and KNOW what you are talking about. That is my
    experience and I wouldn't have it any other way. You get paid for what
    you know this way- bottom line.

    P.s. Don't believe everything you read.

    astyles, Oct 29, 2007
  7. TBone

    kpg* Guest

    P.s. Don't believe everything you read.

    I don't believe a word you say.

    kpg*, Oct 29, 2007
  8. TBone

    TBone Guest

    It could be true based on things that have been said in previous posts.
    Part of the problem is that for a while, everybody was requiring MCSE
    certification, even for entry level jobs. (That would be one of the
    reason MS came up with the lower level certs.) So you had all these
    people with certifications who had no practical experience, thus lower
    the value of what being certified meant. The industry is still
    recovering from that.
    We may be seeing a regional difference between being an "engineer" and
    what "college" means. Here, I'd rather see a university degree (or
    college) and experience that any certification. If I had two candidates
    that were exactly the same and only one was certified, only then might I
    pick one over the other.
    I would say who you know would come first. Then what you know. Although
    what you know may determine who you know. You know what? Hmm...

    TBone, Oct 30, 2007