    since it is my personal computer all he told me is that I needed WPA2. I did
    update it from Microsoft but I don't see it. Thank you for any assistance
    that you can give me. I really need to get this thing going for work.

    Skool Marm, Oct 22, 2008

  2. Skool Marm

    bjr Guest

    Your laptop card may not support WPA2. CHeck with the laptop maker to
    see if there is a firmware update. If not, you will have to get a
    wireless card or USB wireless device that does WPA2.

    bjr, Oct 22, 2008

  3. Skool Marm

    John Guest

    John, Oct 22, 2008
  4. Skool Marm

    Barb Bowman Guest

    is Windows managing your wireless connection or some vendors
    utility?

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 01:21:01 -0700, Skool Marm <Skool
    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Oct 22, 2008
  5. Hi
    Atheros AR5005GS should be working under WPA2. It might be that you do not
    see WPA2 but rather an entry for WPA-AES which is a the current consumers
    rendition of WPA2.
    As mentioned above by Barb, make sure that only one utility is running. I.a
    if you use WZC do Not load the vendor's utility at startup at all.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 23, 2008
  6. Skool Marm

    Skool Marm Guest

    Thank you everyone for the quick responses! Of course now I really feel like
    a dope! I believe that windows is managing the connection.

    I don't see an entry under Network Authentication for WPA-AES just the
    WPA, WPA-PSK, OPEN and SHARED. However the Data Encription shows TKIP or AES.

    I have also noticed that where it says this connection uses the following,
    there are a number of items that are checked. These all include
    Client for Microsoft Networks
    Service Advertising Protocol
    File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    QoS Packet scheduler
    NWLink NetBIOS
    NWLink IPX/SPX/Net/BIOS Compatible Transport Protocol
    AEGIS Protocol (IEE 802.1X) v2.3.1.10
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

    LOL so all of those are checked right below the box that says Connect Using
    and then my Atheros wireless. I have never checked any of these so I don't
    know what or which should or should not be checked.
    You all have been great, thank you so much!

    Skool Marm, Oct 23, 2008
  7. Skool Marm

    Barb Bowman Guest

    are you sure you downloaded and installed
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...4D-E7C1-48D6-95EE-1459234F4483&displaylang=en

    Barb Bowman, Oct 23, 2008
  8. Skool Marm

    Skool Marm Guest

    Thanks again all. I finally broke down and bought a new network card for a
    whole $40 and now it connects immediately. Gesh and I was making it such a
    difficult thing. Thank you again and I have learned so much just reading all
    the forums!
    Tami

    Skool Marm, Oct 25, 2008
  9. Skool Marm