Yet another networking query

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Tim Downie, Nov 17, 2003.

  1. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    A friend of mine is getting Freeserve broadband and would like to share his
    broadband connection with all the PCs in his house.

    He has already bought a Netgear RP114 router and hopes to use this to share
    his connection. His PCs aren't networked at present and I don't mind
    admitting that I'm well out of my depth here.

    From what I understand (and have picked up here), a Freeserve USB modem
    isn't a great start (but there's not a lot I can do about that). Given that
    it will have to plug into one PC, how do I connect the router?

    The WAN port seems to be designated for connection to one's internet
    connection device and as far as I can see, that doesn't seem to mean a PC +
    modem, rather, directly to a modem (which ain't going to work with a USB
    modem as far as I can see).

    Once (?if) we get broadband working on one PC, is it simply a question of
    setting up internet connection sharing and connecting the other PCs to the
    router? File/printer sharing is a lower priorty at the moment.

    Apologies if these seem terribly naive questions. I realise that there are
    many better ways to do it but my friend is not keen to ditch his current
    hardware for something more sensible like a combined router/adsl modem until
    I've torn all my hair out trying to make it work.

    TIA

    Tim

    Tim Downie, Nov 17, 2003

  2. Tim Downie

    Rob Morley Guest

    To the NIC on that machine. But there's not much point, as you'll have
    to run routing software and a firewall on that PC anyway, so you might as
    well just use a hub/switch to connect the others.
    The PC would be acting as a USB-to-ethernet adapter in this case. :)
    You can either connect the PC with the modem to the WAN interface (so
    it would provide NAT and filtering to the other PCs, but will complicate
    file/printer sharing with the modem PC) or to the LAN interface (in which
    case you'd just be using it as a hub). The latter is the easier solution
    if your mate is convinced that he wants to use this hardware.
    Yes, you can do it that way.
    You can make it work easily enough, but it's going to be a bodge.

    Rob Morley, Nov 17, 2003

  3. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    Not convinced I don't think, just loath to admit that he might not actually
    need it. ;-)

    From what you've said (and bearing in mind that the Freeserve modem is a
    freebie) would it be better to pursuade him to buy a "proper" adsl modem
    that will plug directly into the WAN port? Would this give all his PCs
    independant access to the net? If so, any suggestions as where to get such
    a thing? I know I shouldn't admit to this but I've never seen anything but
    usb modems in the likes of PC World.

    Many thanks.

    Tim

    Tim Downie, Nov 17, 2003
  4. Tim Downie

    Rob Morley Guest

    It would, but there's not much point - there's more choice of combined
    modem/routers and they hardly cost any more than a modem on its own.
    www.ebuyer.co.uk are about as cheap as they come - just search for adsl
    on the first page.

    Rob Morley, Nov 17, 2003
  5. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    Just done a bit of browsing. Is an ethernet adsl modem what I'm after?
    From what I can make out, they're very nearly as expensive as combined
    router/modems. (I guess there's relatively little demand for standalone
    network modems with the plethora of combined units now).

    What are the best deals on ethernet modems and modem/routers?

    Cheers.

    Tim

    Tim Downie, Nov 17, 2003
  6. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    Many thanks. Usenet at its best!

    (Please ignore my other post. I sent it seconds before you post your
    reply).

    Tim

    Tim Downie, Nov 17, 2003
  7. Dabs, Ebuyer, or perhaps (at own risk) Ebay. 50 quid should get
    a 4 port router/ASL modem. There seem to be lots of Netgear (and
    other) routers advertised on Ebay so double check if you see ADSL
    with a manufacturer web site, if possible, or ask seller, to be
    100% sure, as some are routers for users of cable modems. PGM

    Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631, Nov 18, 2003