    Does anyone know where i can get copies of both these series. Anyone got
    lists of DVD's for sale?

    musch appreciated

    music_mania, Dec 2, 2006

  2. Derek Janssen, Dec 2, 2006

  3. music_mania

    P Pron Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:
    || Stan Brown wrote:
    ||| http://www.dvdpricesearch.com/indexA.shtml
    || Uh,
    || A) you can't cut and paste DVDPriceSearch's Java,
    || and
    || B) he's a UK R2 poster, so you can't just say
    || http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=BBC019010 .
    || Derek Janssen

    In fact, many UK DVD users have multi-region players and most UK TVs are
    multi-standard. In this instance though, the DeepDiscountDVD price is a lot
    more than can be obtained from UK suppliers -
    http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/BBCDVD2113.htm

    paul

    P Pron, Dec 2, 2006
  4. music_mania

    Stan Brown Guest

    Sat, 02 Dec 2006 14:37:22 -0500 from Derek Janssen
    Sorry, I have no idea what you mean. You click on the link and then
    search for your DVDs. WHat's the problem?
    Oh. My crystal ball is in the shop, and since he's posting from a
    ..com address...

    Stan Brown, Dec 2, 2006
  5. What has .com got to do with anything???

    All that means is "commercial".

    l2oberto

    Roberto Pirezzi, Dec 3, 2006
  6. It means he didn't see the poster had posted the question to
    uk.media.dvd, which perfectly explained why the poster was asking for a
    title that'd been out for four years.

    Derek Janssen (newsreader problems, guess)

    Derek Janssen, Dec 3, 2006
  7. music_mania

    Stan Brown Guest

    Sun, 03 Dec 2006 15:10:41 -0500 from Derek Janssen

    U.S. commercial, last I heard -- just as ".mil" means U.S. military
    and ".gov" means U.S. government. Though there are non-US companies
    that have registered .com domains, the default is .co.uk, and .gov.uk
    for government(*). Examples: http://www.royal.gov.uk/ and
    http://amazon.co.uk . The latter lists the DVDs in question at
    though in NTSC region 1 format.
    Actually, I did. But since the spelling and capitalization were,
    well, eccentric, and the poster used a .com address (even though it
    might have been faked), I just assumed it was part of massive
    crossposting.

    If the poster wanted Region 2, why did he not say so? A Google for
    "yes, prime minister" "region 2"
    turned up 577 links.

    As I say, my crystal ball was in the shop. So I beg pardon for
    answering the question using the most likely interpretations.

    (*) though a quick Google found no .mil.uk sites.

    Stan Brown, Dec 3, 2006
  8. That applies to country specific sites (dk = denmark, de - Germany, Fr =
    France, Au = Australia, but .com, as you said, isn't just US based sites and
    anyone from those countries can have a .com. In some cases it is useful,
    especially if you have a audience than spans several countries, with one
    site hosting the links to individual country specific sites where
    applicable.

    ..gov is US Government, and gov.uk is correctly, UK Government, which is
    rather more helpful due to multiple town names which are the same across
    different countries, specifically for local government.

    and .gov.uk
    The thing about the Amazon method, is not whether it is co.uk by default,
    but whether it is co.uk for ease of convineance for shoppers. I can go to
    www.amazon.com and be redirected (by links) to any of the amazon country
    specific sites.
    The .com address is of no consequence, as my own e-mail address, BRITISH
    TELECOMMUNICATIONS (BTinternet) is obviously not American.

    The cross posting is partly justified, but logic should suggest posting to a
    UK group, regardless of cross posting, equals region 2 requirement.
    In a UK newsgroup, it should only be relevant to ask for region 1.

    That's because they are under the ministry of defence, mod.uk

    Cheers

    l2oberto

    Roberto Pirezzi, Dec 4, 2006
  9. music_mania

    Jerry Brown Guest

    On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 16:13:19 -0500, Stan Brown

    The UK uses .mod.uk (ministry of defence) instead of .mil, and .ac.uk
    (academic) instead of .edu, while. .gov.uk is used erratically (e.g.
    www.statistics.gov.uk follows the convention, but UK Parliament is
    just www.parliament.uk).

    Jerry Brown

    Jerry Brown, Dec 4, 2006
  10. music_mania

    Guest

    , Dec 5, 2006
  11. music_mania

    Ian Jackson Guest

    If you're in the UK, have you tried the obvious?
    www.bbcshop.com
    Ian.

    Ian Jackson, Dec 5, 2006
  12. music_mania

    music_mania Guest

    Actually i dont mind what region the DVD's are just the cheapest. Quite
    happy with copies, backups, rips whatever they're called

    music_mania, Dec 11, 2006