Yeah, but the lens is hors de combat!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dperez, Feb 14, 2005.

  1. dperez

    dperez Guest

    Y'all,

    I've had pretty good luck over the years NOT destroying photographic equipment
    but my luck came to an end yesterday morning.....

    Up and out before dawn, got to the interesting spot to shoot the sunrise over
    Lake Superior. Made the rather difficult trek thru the icy snow and spent some
    time shooting. Made the same trek back to the truck at the end........

    And after all that mucking about in the crud, I managed to fall flat on my face
    while standing on perfectly flat ground 5 feet from the truck! One second I was
    vertical, the next I was horizontal...

    Unfortunately, I had the S2 with the Tamron SP 28-105 around my neck and it
    appears that I managed to use the lens as a cushion! Which it is NOT very good
    at. Lens hood broke into 3 pieces, and the lens is now in two pieces with the
    whole mount section broken off the rest of the lens.

    The good news is that the S2 body appears fine, and other lenses still work with
    no problem.

    I ordered the Nikon 24-120 VR last night as a "replacement" but I'm going to
    contact Tamron to see if they can fix this one since it APPEARS that the optics
    weren't damaged. If its cheap enough its worth saving. Otherwise I'll see how
    the Nikon lens works out and if it doesn't I"ll just have to get another one of
    these.

    Could have been worse... I remember a story from one of the well known
    photographers that does seminars (maybe John Shaw?) that he was on a bluff over
    the Pacific ocean and lost a 400 mm over the edge. Watched it fall until it hit
    the rocks at the bottom. Said it wasn't even worth climbing down to check on it
    afterward...

    dperez, Feb 14, 2005

  2. dperez

    rafe bustin Guest

    A few years back I dropped a brand new Mamiya 645E
    SLR from a height of about 6 feet onto granite.
    It rolled a bit and then came to rest in a shallow
    puddle of seawater. This was its first outing.
    It was on its first roll of film.

    The camera appeared DOA but in fact, many months
    later, was back in action, good as new, except for
    a scuff in one corner.

    At the time, it was the most expensive new camera
    I'd ever bought. I was practically in grief.
    A very traumatic experience...

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe bustin, Feb 14, 2005

  3. Always use the neckstrap. A experience pro will every time they are near a
    ledge, etc.

    Dave R knows who, Feb 14, 2005
  4. dperez

    dperez Guest

    Always use the neckstrap. A experience pro will every time they are near a
    And, of course, there's me, the clumsy exception that proves the rule! With the
    neckstrap on I managed to land on the camera and break the lens. Without it I
    probably would have held the camera off to the side and kept it off the ice...
    OR I'd have used it to break my fall anyway and would still have busted it...

    But, I generally wear the neckstrap all the time...

    dperez, Feb 15, 2005