Yahoo 'Web Beacons' Spy On And Track Yahoo Users!

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Tommy, May 15, 2005.

  1. Tommy

    Tommy Guest

    Yahoo 'Web Beacons' Spy On And Track Yahoo Users!

    5-15-5

    Yahoo tracks all of its users everywhere on the web and the way to opt-out
    is detailed below. If you have a Yahoo e-mail account or belong to one of
    Yahoo's many Yahoo groups, this probably applies to you. Yahoo has probably
    been tracking everything you do online. Follow the instructions precisely
    to opt out of this. Notice the important part at the very end.

    "Yahoo is now using something called 'Web Beacons' to track Yahoo Group
    users around the net and see what you're doing and where you are going
    similar to cookies. Yahoo is recording every website and every group you
    visit.

    Take a look at their updated privacy statement:

    http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy

    About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies, you will see a link
    that says web beacons. Click on the phrase web beacons.

    http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/beacons/details.html

    That will bring you to a paragraph entitled "Outside the Yahoo Network."

    In this section you'll see a little "click here to opt out" link that will
    let you "opt-out" of their new method of snooping.

    Once you have clicked that link, you are exempted. Notice the "Success"
    message on the top of the next page. Be careful because on that page there
    is a "Cancel Opt-out" button that, if clicked, will **undo** the opt-out.
    So don't reflexively click that button, or you will undo the opt-out ! Feel
    free to forward this to other groups."

    Tommy, May 15, 2005

  2. Tommy

    Roger Guest

    In one age, called the Second Age by some,
    (an Age yet to come, an Age long past)
    someone claiming to be Tommy wrote
    in message <3067642.nTSIEsN9WP@FreeBSD>:

    >Yahoo 'Web Beacons' Spy On And Track Yahoo Users!
    >
    >5-15-5
    >
    >Yahoo tracks all of its users everywhere on the web and the way to opt-out
    >is detailed below.

    Wrong -- the pager you cite very clearly says "Yahoo! uses web beacons
    to conduct research on behalf of certain partners on THEIR web sites"
    <emphasis mine.>

    Still having problems reading for comprehension, huh?

    Is this how Nizkor determines your personal IP address? LOL

    When *are* you going to get back to your lies about hate crimes, their
    publication and forgery?

    Roger, May 15, 2005

  3. Tommy

    Solbu Guest

    Solbu, May 17, 2005
  4. Tommy

    Roger Guest

    In one age, called the Second Age by some,
    (an Age yet to come, an Age long past)
    someone claiming to be Solbu wrote
    in message <hacie.10285$>:

    >Right.
    >Just finished reading the page.
    >I run a yahoo group, and I will start moving the group onto another server.
    >
    >Most likely a server with mailman.

    Because ... ?

    Or did you comprehend it as poorly as the idiot child did?

    Roger, May 17, 2005
  5. Tommy

    Solbu Guest

    Solbu, May 17, 2005
  6. Tommy

    Jon Guest

    Solbu wrote:

    > Because it was the last drop. I have been
    > thinking of switching for the last year.
    > This was the push that got me going.

    > Besides in yahoo groups I can not convert From
    > html To text format. I seriously consider HTML
    > mail as a security risk. In mailman I can force
    > the removal of HTML content.

    > THAT is a large contributor in my decision.

    > Yes, I know there are ways to protect myself from
    > HTML mails. But most of the listmembers do not
    > know that there IS a risk in the first place.
    > Let alone how to protect them selves.

    I started getting spammed immediately after signing up for Yahoo
    groups. They don't take any precautions that I know of.

    Jon

    Jon, May 17, 2005