    Or is it just some scheme to send their own adverts to people who might be
    interested?

    (Don't the Americans read all our emails anyway?)

    geopelia, Jun 4, 2013

  2. geopelia

    Malcolm Guest

    Hi
    I'm in Mississippi and reading this...does that count....

    Malcolm, Jun 4, 2013

  3. geopelia

    peterwn Guest

    Yahoo has had a web-based email system even longer than Google. Google
    already scan gmail emails electronically and place 'context' ads on
    the right hand side. It is a fully automatic process so it is not as
    if some human is reading your mail.
    I do not think so but I could be wrong. Whether it carries context
    sensitive ads would be a matter between Telecom and Yahoo. Telecom
    certainly would not want Vodafone ads appearing on xtra-yahoo.
    The scanning for ad placement would be similar to spam checking.
    Possibly, detection of Countdown emails could lead to New World ads,
    similarly Kmart ads for Warehouse emails.

    International communications have alrays been regarded as 'fair game'
    for eavesdropping. Again, the likes of CIA, KGB's successor, etc would
    use automated keyword detecting methods for finding suspicious emails.

    The chances of a human actually reading an ordinary person's emails is
    extremely remote. One the other hand one has to watch these little old
    ladies - they can get up to all sorts of mischief (just kidding!).

    peterwn, Jun 4, 2013
  4. geopelia

    Rich80105 Guest

    They are able to store as much as they like, and have sophisticated
    programmes to identify words or phrases of interest. and can follow
    material initiated by some individuals. Usenet is public anyway - and
    yes there are some in America that are likely to follow nz.general.

    Rich80105, Jun 4, 2013
  5. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    How's the weather? I hope there are no tornadoes around your way.

    But it's the American government that is supposed to be reading all the
    emails.

    geopelia, Jun 4, 2013
  6. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

[...]

    Too right! But what about big old ladies?

    Facebook already has a lot of ads down the right hand side.
    But if you magnify it up to 150 you lose them.
    I use 125 for ease of reading.

    I often talk about guns and bombs. I bet somebody has got their beady eye on
    me!
    But it's all ancient history to kids today.

    geopelia, Jun 4, 2013
  7. geopelia

    Pooh Guest

    Storing isn't reading Dickie. As you say they can check for phrases and
    words. By all accounts one to avoid is Echelon and there used ti be a long
    list that people were encoursged to use as much as possible to jam up the
    system.

    Pooh

    Pooh, Jun 4, 2013
  8. geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    Ah, so google has some servers in NZ for all that gmail stuff?

    Gordon, Jun 5, 2013
  9. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    If I ping www.google.co.nz it returns port-60-234-121-35.orcon.net.nz.
    (This doesn't mean that it is actually an Orcon server of course).

    Ping gmail.com and you get syd01s12-in-f21.1e100.net. (syd = Sydney?).
    Again that doesn't mean that the server is in Sydney.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 5, 2013
  10. geopelia

    Pooh Guest

    Nah. Was more fun sending emails to friends using as many words as possible.
    Especially when the emails were going to people in Defence and Police. Never
    got a rise which was a bit disappointing :)

    Pooh

    Pooh, Jun 5, 2013
  11. geopelia

    Seagull Guest

    "geopelia" wrote in message
    I see Yahoo is going to be scanning email for adverts.
    Does Yahoo have its own email?

    Will this include yahoo xtra emails? I use xtra, which I think is some sort
    of Yahoo.

    Is this the same as a spam check, or will they look at the emails
    themselves, such as emails from Countdown or the Warehouse?
    I need the Countdown weekly emails for ordering, and they send me
    confirmations of orders etc.

    Or is it just some scheme to send their own adverts to people who might be
    interested?

    Details here:
    http://dottech.org/111191/yahoo-shu...-new-mail-version-which-scans-emails-for-ads/

    Note you CAN opt out.

    Seagull, Jun 5, 2013
  12. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I don't use Yahoo itself, but I think xtra has some connection. I haven't
    heard anything from xtra though.

    geopelia, Jun 5, 2013
  13. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    You *do* use Yahoo - you're using Xtra for your e-mail, and they don't
    host it themeselves anymore, they outsource it to Yahoo. So your e-mail
    is on Yahoo's servers.

    Dave Doe, Jun 5, 2013
  14. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    That doesn't worry me.
    I'm amazed how many of my old newsgroup messages have ended up on Google.

    geopelia, Jun 5, 2013
  15. ... so SPAM by definition then. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 6, 2013
  16. geopelia

    Pooh Guest

    No! The security services know to much about me as it is :)

    Pooh

    Pooh, Jun 6, 2013
  17. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    They will be on *all* Usenet servers that carry the .nz groups.

    Dave Doe, Jun 6, 2013
  18. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Can we still say which supermarket or garden centre we prefer?
    Or would that be considered spam?

    geopelia, Jun 6, 2013
  19. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    Do you get much spam?

    If not, opt out! :)

    Dave Doe, Jun 6, 2013
  20. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I get a reasonable amount. One firm wanted "my firm" to buy their sheet
    metal and heavy construction stuff.
    Looks good too, if I was in that line of work. How they got me is a mystery!
    And of course people want to give me millions of dollars.

    It isn't enough spam to worry me.

    geopelia, Jun 6, 2013