Yahoo messenger sign in problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jc, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. jc

    jc Guest

    An HP 3.3 Meg Athalon processor with 512 meg memory, new two months ago and
    running XP Home. A week 1/2 ago could not sign in to Yahoo Messenger.
    Returns an error "Could not sign in to messenger" and asks "Retry",
    Configure or Help.

    Yahoo contacted and they requested a log. It was provided to them and they
    turned it over to their "engineering" and havn't gotten back to us.

    Failed on Sunday. I restored to the Saturday it last worked ok. No help. I
    uninstalled Yahoo and all components, pieces and files. I then removed all
    references to yahoo or ypager in the registery. Then I downloaded the
    latest Yahoo messenger and installed from scratch. Same result. Click on
    "sign in" and the face just winks one eye and stops. Can log in to Yahoo
    mail and account at the Yahoo site no problem so name and password is good.

    Tried signing in as a different user and account, same results. Tried
    installing Yahoo Messenger on my own machine with XP Pro and it installed
    fine and works great if you like Yahoo. Can't duplicate problem. Worked
    fine for the first month and a half.

    Any ideas appreciated.

    jc

    jc, Feb 9, 2005

  2. jc

    Archie77 Guest

    Are you running a software firewall like Norton Internet Security or
    ZoneAlarm? Disable those and try connecting again. Is the computer behind a
    router? Try bypassing the router.

    Archie77, Feb 9, 2005

  3. 1) Learn the difference between MHz and GHz.
    2) You do *NOT* have a 3.3MHz processor - nor do you have a 3.3GHz
    processor (unless you've seriously overclocked - and, as it's an HP and the
    BIOS is locked to all but the most basic of functions, I seriously doubt
    that). AMD have yet to produce a CPU with a 3.3GHz clock speed. You have a
    3300+ CPU which has a clock speed of 2.3GHz.
    3) It's spelt 'Athlon'.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Feb 9, 2005
  4. jc

    jcollin Guest

    I'm sure you're right about the processor speed being 2.3 and yes I did use
    the wrong terminology Mhz. I just posted this looking for someone who could
    correct spelling without offering any usefull information whatsoever!

    Thank you very much!

    jcollin, Feb 10, 2005
  5. Athlon. Did you used to have a Penatium? :)

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 10, 2005
  6. jc

    jc Guest

    Thank you Archie77 for your suggestions. The HP is running Norton Antivirus
    which I have disabled with no results. It is dial up and no router. I've
    also disabled the XP firewall.

    I really appreciate all sincere efforts to help!

    Thanks again.

    jc, Feb 10, 2005
  7. jc

    jc Guest

    Blinky:
    Sorry to hear that you too have no clue and are incapable of adding anything
    intelligent to the subject discussed but did want to give you the
    opportunity to display your uncanny and impeccable skills of hubris and
    ostentation. Any time you feel the need I'm glad to help!

    Thanks so very much.

    jc, Feb 10, 2005
  8. You misspelled "thanks for educating me as to the name of what I'm
    talking about". And you're welcome. And the clueless top post, like
    you did. And you're welcome again. Now off to Yahoo groups with the
    rest of the newbs, with you. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 10, 2005
  9. jc

    jc Guest

    Blinky:

    Sorry to be so dumb but who or what is a "clueless top post?" Does it have
    something to do with your not knowing as much as you thought you did? Or
    would that be a "clueless bottom post?" And thanks for the tip but I've
    already been to Yahoo groups and although they didn't have an answer either,
    they did have the decency to contain their urge to send insults, slights and
    ridicule to make themselves feel big.

    I'm certainly not complaining about this group as one of three respondents
    did make a highly appreciated and sincere attempt to help and one of three
    having some knowledge isn't a bad average!

    You take care and have a great day.

    jc, Feb 10, 2005
  10. I'll type this really slowly for you. I t ' s r e p l y i n g a t
    t h e t o p . Do you read the newspaper upside down, too?
    No, it's surely not that, Sparky.
    I use clued inter-posting. I don't read the newspaper upside down,
    either.
    They didn't know enough to try and educate you as to how to better use
    Usenet. (This is Usenet; I suspect you don't know where you are.)
    I tried to help, too. Not my fault you're unteachable.
    Oh, I will.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 10, 2005
  11. The attitude that bottom posting is the right way to post bothers me. And
    not that anyone will really care, but I'm going to tell you why, anyhow.
    I don't read the first chapter of a book and then reread the first chapter
    to get to the second chapter, then reread the first two chapters to continue
    on to the third... bottom posting is very much like that to me, senseless...
    Posting inline is probably the most logical, but some folks don't make the
    new entries easily distinguishable from the previous text.
    Top posting gives the reader the new information without having to go
    through everything else that was written previously. Providing the older
    post entries after, and out of the way, for reference if they are needed.
    Just my opinion... just my logic...
    PJ
    <snipped>

    The Black Laced One, Feb 10, 2005
  12. jc

    DC Guest

    Another satisfied customer. }:O)

    DC, Feb 10, 2005

  13. No, it was a Penitium. ;o)

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Feb 10, 2005
  14. I interpost. I sometimes speak out against top posting. Like I did
    here, with Numbnuts.
    When it's time to read Ch.6, you turn past Chs.1-5 and find it in its
    proper logical place -- you don't rip out Ch.6 and place it before
    Ch.1. That would be the equivalent of top posting.
    Yes, it is the most logical. Yes, some idiots don't know how to post,
    and that makes things suboptimal for others.
    Most keyboards are well equipped with PgDn and DnArrow keys. For
    rodentophiles, many news clients have scrollbars.
    No prob.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 10, 2005
  15. And before that some 3886s and 4886s. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 10, 2005
  16. jcollin wrote:

    I would think trying to educate you enough to at least know what your
    own equipment is would be considered useful.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 10, 2005
  17. jc

    jcollin Guest

    To: "Miss Perspicacia Tick"

    So you ain't got a clue either! Not surprised.

    jcollin, Feb 14, 2005
  18. jc

    jcollin Guest

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" ain't got a clue either!

    jcollin, Feb 14, 2005
  19. jc

    waythewaythe

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Are you using proxy in internet explorer? I used to have the same problem, try checking the proxy settings in both yahoo messenger and internet explorer. make sure http, https, ftp etc uses the right proxy server.

    waythewaythe, Aug 20, 2007