    XP, OutlookExpress. Telecom

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jun 14, 2011

  2. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    Yes, probably - they are doing an e-mail upgrade - so it's probably
    legitimate. Who is the e-mail from (you didn't say).

    Check online if you wish: http://nz.yahoo.com
    or:
    http://www.telecom.co.nz/broadband/email

    Dave Doe, Jun 15, 2011

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    It's from Yahoo! Mail headed SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

    It doesn't look like spam.

    I don't use Yahoo mail at all. There are over 90 emails, all updates in my
    groups, which come in on the xtra inbox, so I don't need them from Yahoo
    too.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jun 15, 2011
  4. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    If you are with Xtra, then yes, you *are* using Yahoo mail (Xtra
    contracted out their e-mail service to them a year or more ago (ages
    ago)).

    Dave Doe, Jun 15, 2011

  5. Its Malware/Spyware I get a few every week, they are after your email
    log on ID and pass word

    Frank Williams, Jun 15, 2011
  6. Geopelia

    David Empson Guest

    I got it as well. It is not spam.
    Xtra outsourced their e-mail service to Yahoo several years ago.

    Since then, everyone who is an Xtra customer is using Yahoo for their
    mail, but you may have been unaware of this.

    The message I received is referring to changes that Yahoo are making in
    their webmail service, which you might never have accessed. If you did,
    you would probably have done so by visiting http://xtra.co.nz/ which
    redirects to http://nz.yahoo.com/ and then signing in an clicking on an
    E-Mail link, and typing in your Xtra e-mail address and the password for
    your e-mail account.

    Yahoo have at least two versions of their webmail user interface - the
    "Classic" one and a newer one. The message implies that they have either
    updated the new one or replaced it with an even newer one. They are
    asking you to log in to your e-mail account and switch over to the new
    service. If you don't do that then in a month or so, it will be forced
    upon you the next time you try to access your webmail.

    If you never access webmail and never will in future, you probably don't
    have to do anything and can ignore the message.

    I can't see anything suggesting this will affect use of standard e-mail
    client software running on your computer.

    David Empson, Jun 15, 2011
  7. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I don't think that is the same site, it has the agreement terms, privacy
    policy etc.

    Geopelia, Jun 15, 2011
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I have a different user name and password for the Yahoo mail, but found it
    very difficult to use, also it used to freeze the computer, so I haven't
    used it for years. All that comes in are updates in my groups, which I get
    on xtra as well.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jun 15, 2011
  9. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    Again... this is not about any Yahoo a/c you may have. This concerns
    your Xtra/Yahoo a/c (your Xtra e-mail account) - which, as I've said,
    and David has said, Xtra contracted Yahoo to do their e-mail a year or
    two ago.

    ping send.xtra.co.nz
    Pinging smtp1.tnz.mail.vip.aue.yahoo.com [124.108.96.68]

    ping pop3.xtra.co.nz
    Pinging pop1.tnz.mail.vip.aue.yahoo.com [124.108.96.66]

    If you do an IP address lookup, the servers are in SA, Australia.

    And... (presumably) because Xtra outsourced their e-mail services, they
    have to provide additional security to their customers, so they use
    encrypted connections both to and from the Yahoo e-mail servers. That
    means non-standard settings in your e-mail client program (eg. Outlook
    Express) - and this caused a *chitload* of grief for probably tens of
    thousands of Xtra's customers in New Zealand.

    My advice back then is the same as today - I advised, and still do, to
    ditch Xtra and get a better, cheaper ISP that provides easier to use
    services (particularly e-mail which is probably the most important
    service) and a better helpdesk should you need it.

    The short of it is, Xtra *still suck* :)

    Dave Doe, Jun 15, 2011
  10. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    Perhaps this page might make things clearer...

    http://nz.docs.yahoo.com/help/

    Dave Doe, Jun 15, 2011
  11. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    And from their website...

    What's happening with Telecom and Yahoo!Xtra?

    Why have these changes happened?
    As part of its continued relationship Telecom NZ and Yahoo!7, on 15th
    April Telecom announced the sale of its shares in Yahoo!Xtra to Yahoo!7.
    Yahoo!7 now owns 100% of Yahoo!Xtra.

    As part of the current commercial partnership with Yahoo!7 Telecom?s
    Internet customers will continue to be supported.

    Why have Telecom sold the shares?
    The internet is a fast moving industry and a lot has changed since the
    joint venture started. The ongoing partnership announced today allows
    both Yahoo!7 and Telecom New Zealand to stay at the forefront of the
    online industry delivering the best global products and services for
    their customers.

    Does this change represent the failure of the Joint Venture?
    Not at all. The Yahoo!Xtra business has been extremely successful over
    the past few years.

    What does this mean for me?
    The immediate change will be that you may see advertising from some of
    Telecom's competitors. You will continue to access the great local and
    international content along with the Yahoo! services that you love.

    When you sign into your mail, you will arrive in the What's New tab
    instead of your Inbox. You may also see competitor advertising within
    the mail service. Your email address will stay the same and there will
    be no interruption of service.

    Yahoo!Xtra will rebrand as Yahoo!New Zealand, the changes will be phased
    over several weeks in various spaces.

    When will the changes take place?
    The changes in the ownership was effective as at 15 April 2011, the
    rebranding will be phased in from 31st May.

    Will email addresses change?
    No. Your email address and login password will remain the same.

    Dave Doe, Jun 15, 2011

  12. If you listen to the Radio today it states Don't use the Free email
    programs, they are all Spyware, I totally agree, you just don't get
    anything for nothing there is a catch every time.

    Use the Email thing that your ISP provides you with ..

    Frank Williams, Jun 16, 2011

  13. I did state use the ISP email program Not a Web based Free one..

    This talk on the Nat radio was from a Security expert..

    All free web based email programs are Spyware..

    Frank Williams, Jun 16, 2011
  14. Geopelia

    John S Guest

    Hi Geopelia,

    You are correct: using a web site for email is slow and clumsy compared to
    using an email programme, but it is good practice to learn how to log on to
    your ISP's web site for mail, and to use the site for reading your mail and
    sending replies etc.

    To do this you need to know your own username and password of course, and
    many computer users don't know their own password, as they have their email
    programme set up to remember it for them.

    Although you may not normally want to use this method, it can be extremely
    useful in an emergency when you don't have access to your own computer, or
    if you are away traveling. No matter where you are, if you can use
    someone's computer and internet connection, you have access to your own
    email resources, so people can keep in touch with you.

    cheers,

    John S

    John S, Jun 16, 2011
  15. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Thanks to all.

    The whole thing is very confusing. I'll carry on as I do now until something
    happens.
    I'm not likely to move or use anyone else's computer.
    All the bills come from Telecom anyway.

    Why do people change things that are working perfectly well? Even the TV is
    going to be changed.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jun 16, 2011
  16. Geopelia

    PeeCee Guest

    Hi Geopelia

    Leaving things as they are is probably the right thing to do.
    There has been no mention of turning off the Pop and Smtp server
    address's which is how Outlook Express receives and sends your emails.

    The upgrade mails you have received are about the software used to
    access your emails using the "Yahoo" Web interface using Internet
    Explorere (or Firefox or Chrome...) Frankly I am of the opinion it is
    nothing more than a con, encouraging people to use their Web interface
    where they can bombard you with advertising.
    They can't do that with Outlook Express.

    As for the TV change over, well that was inevitable as the Video/Audio
    qualities and the program guides of the new 'Digital' (HD) transmission
    methods are far superior to the old 'SD' (Analog) ssystem.

    An analogy would be the change from VCR's to DVD's where the convenience
    and useablilty of DVD won over consumers.
    This change over occured at a natural pace as consumers found it was
    convenient to change over according to their personal circumstances.
    Even today there are some people still using VCR's there being nothing
    that forces them to stop using them.

    Unfortunately the change over to the new TV standard is being pushed by
    the Government, so people who are quite happy with what they have
    already are 'forced' to change over.
    The reason for the hurried changeover is simply 'money' as the radio
    spectrum released when the Analog system shuts down becomes a source of
    $$$$$$ for the politicians to squander on some other grandiose scheme.

    Be that as it may, the one thing that really burns my wick is while
    mandating when the Analog system will close down the Government did
    'not' mandate a date that Retailers 'must' stop selling TV's with out a
    Freeview tuner.
    So we have the ridiculous situation where with less than two years to
    changeover, Retailers are 'still' selling new TV's with only Analog tuners.

    Total rip off in my opinion, they should have at least mandated a
    digital tuner available for very cheap if not free with any Analog tuner
    TV sold within 5 years of changeover.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jun 16, 2011

  17. As long as its a US Web mail, if it is its Spyware..

    Use the ISP's POP & SMTP settings.

    Frank Williams, Jun 16, 2011
  18. Geopelia

    Matty F Guest

    I think you will find that xtra mail continues to work as it always
    has. You might have to choose the Classic option.
    If you go to Yahoo mail and type in your xtra email address and
    password, that should work. Mine does.

    Yahoo mail now has good spam checking, so if you go there you can
    delete or ignore spam before it reaches your computer, by looking at
    the sender name or title. And it's handy to use Yahoo mail when you
    are not at your usual computer.

    Matty F, Jun 16, 2011