    I have AVG virus basher installed and I somehow sense AVG may be
    implicated in some un-announced way.

    Any suggestions most welcome.

    -Newsman-, Dec 9, 2009

  2. -Newsman-

    Malcolm Guest

    On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 00:46:54 GMT
    Hi
    Run about:config then filter on search, you will
    find the entry browser.search.order.2 is set to Yahoo

    Malcolm, Dec 9, 2009

  3. -Newsman-

    JohnO Guest

    By "about:config" he means enter that address into the FireFox URL
    field, then accept the ensuing nanny warning. I don't see how to
    delete from there but at least the field can be modified to blank or
    "Google".

    The search box on the toolbar has a drop-down that has a 'Manage
    Search Engines' option. I assume that's where the OP set Google as
    preferred.

    Keith, did you just promote Google to the top of the list or did you
    remove all the other search engines from the list?

    PS: FireFix is up to at least 3.5.5 (on Windows) now.

    JohnO, Dec 9, 2009
  4. -Newsman-

    victor Guest

    The address bar search engine setting in about:config is a different key
    to the search dropdown box.
    By default the address performs an "I'm feeling lucky" search on Google.
    I just had to change mine back from winamp's yahoo search after
    installing winamp. <shakes fist at yahoo>
    I had to change the "keyword.URL" string back. I recommend changing it
    to http://www.google.com/search?q= so it does a normal Google search.
    But the default browser.search.order.2 is indeed Yahoo, and I'm sure
    that is worth money to Mozilla.
    I mostly keep the search dropdown on wikipedia and type google searches
    into the address bar.

    You can do quite a lot with bookmark keywords in the address bar
    like this http://johnbokma.com/firefox/keymarks-explained.html

    victor, Dec 9, 2009
  5. -Newsman-

    -Newsman- Guest

    Should have typed 3.5.5 (ooops!)
    I've done that in one case, and deleted all other USER lines
    incorporating anything to do with Yahoo.
    Yep.
    I hadn't removed them, but I have now. The computer and browser seem
    to have withstood the assault.
    Yep (As above)

    Many thanks to you both for the suggestions - I'll see how I go.

    Finally, this:

    Having made these changes, I've run my registry through C-Cleaner. It
    threw up literally dozens of strings almost all of which incorporated
    the Internet's grisly trio of Apple/iTunes/Yahoo. I deleted the lot.
    FWIW, I did install iTunes about three weeks ago and it has been
    roughly since then that the Yahoo search hijacking has been happening.

    If it's you, iTunes, not nice. Not nice at all.

    -Newsman-, Dec 9, 2009
  6. -Newsman-

    JohnO Guest

    QuickTime, from the same vendor (Apple) is just as bad - avoid!

    JohnO, Dec 9, 2009
  7. -Newsman-

    EMB Guest

    Quicktime has been evil since its introduction - I've seen more machines
    borked by it than I care to remember.

    EMB, Dec 9, 2009
  8. Only under Windows, though. On the Mac it used to be a very useful and
    powerful technology, back when Microsoft’s Video for Windows couldn’t even
    keep audio and video playback in sync.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 9, 2009
  9. Funny I’ve never had that problem. Something about having proper OS-level
    package management, I guess.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 9, 2009
  10. -Newsman-

    victor Guest

    Just not clearing a tick box.
    Its a user setting, I don't think package management systems would
    prevent it.

    victor, Dec 9, 2009
  11. But why is it checked by default?
    Repository administrators would not accept packages that clobbered each
    other like this.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 10, 2009
  12. -Newsman-

    victor Guest

    Perhaps not, but as linux gets more mainstream software like Google
    Chrome, Adobe Air, etc are distributed as debs direct from the vendor
    as are Firefox plugins. And plenty of official repository apps embed
    commercial service settings, SIP clients for example.

    victor, Dec 11, 2009