    box and I am having great difficulty getting the correct drivers for
    it. The company I bought it from also complain they cannot get hold
    of the driver CD. Please, please, can anyone help me?

    Alasdair, Jun 24, 2010

  2. Alasdair

    Alasdair Guest

    Alasdair, Jun 26, 2010

  3. The original manufacturer may well not deal with end users!

    These devices typically look like a combination of USB sound card and
    HID (human interface device - i.e. keyboard in this case). The sound
    card can probably be handled by generic driver code. The keyboard might
    be more of a problem, but possibly not - it might even simply generate
    the key codes for the corresponding characters on the main keyboard.

    Unfortunately, Windows won't always select drivers based on device
    class, although often what is on the CD is only a mapping between the
    USB ID and built-in Windows driver binaries. The USB ID may change
    with the branding.

    If you have access to a Linux system, I'd try running "lsusb -v" to get
    all the device identify information. I can't promise that that will
    help, but there may be clues as to what it really is, under the skin.

    David Woolley, Jun 26, 2010
  4. Alasdair

    alexd Guest

    Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, David Woolley
    chose the tried and tested strategy of:
    I don't know a lot about Windows drivers, but I believe this mapping is in
    the .inf file [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INF_file]. If it were my device
    and I couldn't track down the original drivers, I'd take an .inf file from a
    similar product and see if changing the vendor/product ID therein would con
    it into working.

    alexd, Jun 26, 2010
  5. Alasdair

    Alasdair Guest

    There is no keyboard attached to this unit. It is merely an ordinary
    USB telephone handset with the normal buttons 1 to 0 plus mute,
    redial and a back arrow. There is also a button with an @ symbol on it
    and yet another with a $ symbol.

    If I can find out the name of the original manufacturer, I can always
    ask them for a copy of the original CD. It is then up to them whether
    to let me have one or not.

    Alasdair, Jun 26, 2010
  6. That's a keyboard, albeit a small one.

    David Woolley, Jun 27, 2010
  7. I'd agree.

    David Woolley, Jun 27, 2010