    the explorer plan!.

    Anyone else getting poor download speeds from int sites?

    David

    David D, Aug 15, 2005

  2. International sites should be fast too.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Aug 15, 2005

  3. David D

    Tony Guest

    I think every body is..

    Overloaded System..?

    Or Telescum tricks..

    Tony, Aug 15, 2005
  4. David D

    Bret Guest

    I'm getting 702 Kb on a 1Mb connection to www.bandwidthplace.com
    through xtra.

    Bret, Aug 16, 2005
  5. David D

    David D Guest

    To keep everybody on the same playing field what is your download speed
    for downloading Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ im
    getting 40.1KB/Sec at lunchtime today.
    NZ sites in still getting around 230KB/Sec.

    David

    David D, Aug 16, 2005
  6. David D

    PC Guest

    big snip
    Just got 695Kb/sec

    Paul

    PC, Aug 16, 2005
  7. David D

    Krazy Bob Guest

    Krazy B.

    Krazy Bob, Aug 16, 2005
  8. David D

    David D Guest

    ISP & the current plan that you are on, thanks.

    David

    David D, Aug 16, 2005
  9. David D

    David D Guest

    ISP & current plan that you are on , thanks.

    David

    David D, Aug 16, 2005
  10. David D

    Bret Guest

    31.9KB for Mozilla.

    Bret, Aug 16, 2005
  11. David D

    Tony Guest

    Not very fast for a 1 meg link.

    My 256kbs Cable gives me around 14-15KBs..

    Me think one should check the error rate or do run this, I think its a Must
    for every ADSL & Cable users.

    http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

    You will also need to grab this..

    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/578

    Can the Slow users give some feed back after using it..

    Like is it still slow..?

    Thanks

    Tony, Aug 16, 2005
  12. David D

    EMB Guest

    Not very fast for a "fast" connection. My father's 256kb/s ADSL brings
    it down at ~30kB/sec.

    EMB, Aug 16, 2005
  13. David D

    Bret Guest

    I get 99KB from www.bandwidthplace.com Roger, so looks like you have a
    slow 256Kb connection.

    Bret, Aug 16, 2005
  14. David D

    Brendan Guest

    And your account type is ?

    --

    .... Brendan

    #171987 +(5636)- [X]

    <Th3No0b> Im going to be the next hitler
    <Th3No0b> Im going to kill all the jews and 1 clown
    <RageAgainsttheAmish> why the clown
    <Th3No0b> See? no one cares about the jews
    <RageAgainsttheAmish> lmao

    Note: All my comments are copyright 16/08/2005 4:03:08 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 16, 2005
  15. I get ~ 245KB/sec on 2Mbit paradise cable downloading firefox from
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/. The odd thing is, I didn't even
    need a multistream d/l manager to get that speed; just firefox's own scummy
    d/l manager. David really needs to roast Telecom over this one. There's no
    way he should be paying for a 2Mb account when he's getting a mere
    9-27KB/sec international traffic.

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, Aug 16, 2005
  16. David D

    David D Guest

    OK, after much googling and talking to a few other people the fault lies
    at my end!!, as i use a Dlink ADSL wireless router, the router is a
    802.11b model 11Mbps.

    I decided to check the speed when i plug the laptop into the router
    dirctly via a network cable, suddenly i get full speed downloads from
    international sites, when i go wireless i get approx 80% speed
    reduction, so it's some issue with the wireless 11Mbps speed not being
    fast enough as the 100Mbps network cable connection.

    Strange though that national sites come down at full speed on wireless
    but international sites dont.
    I tried changing channels on the router, and disabling WEP encryption
    etc, no change, so at this stage i put it down to the 11Mbps throughput
    not being fast enough, anyway when im around the house i can go wireless
    and when im at the desk i can plug in to the router and get my full
    2Mbit connection.

    David

    David D, Aug 16, 2005
  17. David D

    PC Guest

    Xtra, 2Mbit (they call it the "Adventure" plan)
    Paul.

    PC, Aug 16, 2005
  18. David D

    H.O.G Guest

    802.11b is 11Mbps (although it is half duplex). ADSL is 2Mbps.

    Unless you have a lot of traffic, the problem in not in the fact that
    you are using wireless.

    What is your signal strength like? Is it different if you are about 2m
    from the AP?

    H.O.G, Aug 17, 2005
  19. David D

    David D Guest

    Signal is fine, and i get the same results if im close to the router and
    the same if im further away, the only thing that works is plugging in to
    the router directly, same issue using jetstreamgames login etc, faster
    speed when plugged in, slower when wireless, also tried another laptop
    with 802.11b card same problem.

    David

    David D, Aug 17, 2005
  20. David D

    H.O.G Guest

    Hi, David.

    I could understand the gaming issues, as wireless can cause a wee bit
    of a lag; hardly noticable for browsing, but is sometimes obvious when
    gaming online, and combined with the ISP's lag (Can anyone say "UBS"?)

    You say you use a DLink wireless AP/Router. Is it a cheapo one? What's
    the model.

    All in all, you shouldn't have an 80% slowdown on wireless, so either
    the router is crap, or it is defective. Is it still under warranty?

    H.O.G, Aug 17, 2005