    Anyone know how to speed up XP's networking?

    It's appallingly slow, and I know the reasons for it, but am
    at a loss as to what to do about it.

    Jock, Apr 10, 2004

  2. Jock

    Rob Morley Guest

    And the reasons are ...

    Rob Morley, Apr 10, 2004

  3. Jock

    Conor Guest

    Stick "Slow Network Browsing Windows XP" into Google and you'll find
    plenty of answers. Its a known issue.

    Conor, Apr 10, 2004
  4. Jock

    Jock Guest

    Are you asking a question, or was your post merely rhetorical?

    Jock, Apr 11, 2004
  5. Jock

    Rob Morley Guest

    Asking a question. Without a ? at the end :)

    Rob Morley, Apr 11, 2004
  6. Jock

    Dr Zoidberg Guest

    If you think you know what the cause is , then tell us.
    We may have come across that problem.
    --
    Alex

    "We are now up against live, hostile targets"

    "So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad
    attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

    www.drzoidberg.co.uk

    Dr Zoidberg, Apr 11, 2004
  7. Jock

    Iain Miller Guest

    What are you trying to Network to? Is the problem with file transfer rates?
    If it is and its to a 98/ME machine then the only way to fix it is to
    upgrade the 98/ME box. Known issue networking between XP & 98/ME - it works
    but it runs like a 3 legged dog.

    I.

    Iain Miller, Apr 12, 2004
  8. Jock

    Jock Guest

    OK. The reason is that XP checks the other machines on the LAN
    for scheduled tasks or something before allowing access, which
    slows things up by anything up to 30 seconds.

    I've done all that's been suggested, but my LAN's still appallingly
    slow when accessed from the XP machine.

    Jock, Apr 12, 2004
  9. Jock

    Jock Guest

    Three machines: one on XP the other two on Windows 98SE. The 98SE ones
    are connected through a hub to a router. The router is connected to the
    XP machine via USB2.
    Transfers, directories etc., are rapid between the two 98SE machines,
    but dead slow between the XP and the 98SE ones.

    I know there's a problem, but it was supposed to be fixable. I've done
    what was suggested, to no effect.

    I thought there might be a solution.

    Jock, Apr 12, 2004
  10. Jock

    Iain Miller Guest

    Not that I ever found - the only solution was to upgrade an ME machine to XP
    & that solved the thing. The USB link to the XP machine may not be helping
    though....can you connect that to the Hub & test?

    I.

    I.

    Iain Miller, Apr 13, 2004
  11. Jock

    Rob Morley Guest

    All that's been suggested?

    Rob Morley, Apr 13, 2004
  12. Jock

    Jock Guest

    No, I don't think that's possible and of course you can't have
    XP on more than one machine, so I'll just have to put up with
    it!

    Thanks for trying. One reason for part of the slow response was
    that the discs on the 98SE machines were going to sleep after 20
    minutes of non-use.

    Jock, Apr 14, 2004
  13. Jock

    Jock Guest

    Without digging the book out, there was a registry hack which I've
    done and I've ticked the box in Tweak-XP Pro for "Speed up Network
    Access".

    I feel I can hardly do anything further apart from keeping the hard
    discs on the 98SE machines awake so that they don't have to run up
    every time. (They were set to sleep after 20 mins).

    Thanks for trying.

    Jock, Apr 14, 2004
  14.
    Martin Underwood, Apr 15, 2004
  15. Jock

    Conor Guest

    The biggest thing that holds the job up is the fact that WinXP searches
    for all available shares and also tries to reconnect to shares it saves
    in "My Network Places". You need to disable both of those.

    Conor, Apr 15, 2004
  16. Jock

    Jock Guest

    Transfers are done manually. Very often there will be longer
    than 20 minutes between them!
    It must be. Everything else that can be done to speed up
    transfers has been done.

    Jock, Apr 15, 2004
  17. Jock

    Jock Guest

    I'll have a look. Thanks, but I need all the drives on
    all three machines to be available.

    Jock, Apr 15, 2004
  18. Jock

    Conor Guest

    They will still be available.

    Conor, Apr 16, 2004
  19. Jock

    Jock Guest

    Properties for the shared drives in "My Network Places" just gives a
    description, no disable option.

    Tools gives the option to 'disconnect' a shared drive, but disconnecting
    seems to make no difference.

    Jock, Apr 16, 2004
  20. Jock

    Conor Guest

    OK I think you missed the point.

    When you go to browse the shares on another computer, Windows XP
    searches the whole LAN for any shares anywhere. It is this that takes
    the time and holds the job up and it is this searching which you need
    to disable via a registry hack.

    Conor, Apr 16, 2004