    At this point it seems to be only when the program is installed
    on a network drive.

    Thankyou Microsoft.

    kpg, Feb 14, 2005

  2. kpg

    kpg Guest

    I noticed my XPHome machine (at home) had some sizable
    UPDATE:

    XP Home or Pro, same problem.

    Get the message:

    This applications has failed to start because the application
    configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling application may fix the
    problem.

    (it does not)

    If I copy the network folder to the local drive, then change our ini
    file to read the data off the network drive it works! So the XP machine
    can read the network just fine, but it can't run our exe.

    This user has a 98 machine also, it works fine (same network!).

    The only time I've seen this is with a .net assembly (which we are not)
    where the .net security settings need to be set to allow intranet access.

    But it gets better...another user with the same problem has two identical
    XP Home workstations - one works one does not.

    The servers of the workstations with the problem range from Win95, Win98
    to XP Pro. (Q:who would use Win95 as a server? A: My customers!)

    kp "I'm getting pi$$ed" g

    kpg, Feb 14, 2005

  3. (Q:who would use Win95 as a server? A: My
    ROFL. sorry man. I feel your pain. I wish I had an answer for you but I
    don't. Maybe one of the smart people in the group will.

    CrushesBeforeItCuts, Feb 14, 2005
  4. kpg

    fygar Guest

    Do you have the execute permission on the remote folder turned on?

    ....butch()

    fygar, Feb 14, 2005
  5. kpg

    kpg Guest

    Well that was helpful. :)

    I'm getting closer - we use XP styles in our program...not the external
    kind but one compiled into the exe as a resource. If there is a problem'
    with the manifest file (which is written in XML) this error will occur.

    The fact that it only happens on the network drive tells me that is
    indeed a .NET permission thing. Problem is I set adjusted the .NET
    security for the intranet zone to no trust on my test machine (which was
    not having the problem BTW) and every thing still works great.

    So I think that the .NET framework 1.1 update that was part of the
    windows updates for XP messed up the XML security rights for the
    intranet zone on some XP machines - but at this point I don't know how
    to fix it - short of removing the manifest file form our software (but then
    xp users get those ugly win98 style controls).

    Well, CBIC, you keep working on it...

    kp "hey Fris, little help here?..." g

    kpg, Feb 14, 2005
  6. kpg

    kpg Guest

    My first thoughts...but the server is WIN95, so I am assuming FAT32
    Workgroup. No NTFS or AD permissions to mess with.

    kp "things were simpler back then" g

    kpg, Feb 14, 2005
  7. Sorry, dude. I have zero experience in .Net

    We're using VB Classic.

    For what it's worth, the only difference between running an app local and
    over the network is permissions, period. You have to be on the right track.
    If I were you, I'd google groups (not just plain google) with keywords
    pertaining to the specific update you installed to see if anyone else has
    experienced the same problem.

    --
    Fris ".Nyet" bee®, MCNGP #13

    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
    http://www.mcngp.com

    Certaholics

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Feb 14, 2005
  8. kpg

    kpg Guest

    Yeah, us too. VB6. I use the manifest 'trick' to get XP styles
    out of VB6 controls. I knew this would come back to bite me.

    The only .NET stuff we do is for web applications which are just
    for customer support and the like. .NET is VERY nice, though, I
    like it.

    kpg, Feb 14, 2005