    the same name)

    is this done during the install of the trial xp64 OS?

    TIA,Matthew.

    Guest, Jan 7, 2006

  2. Guest

    BSchwarz Guest

    When I went from trial to full it was an upgarde and I didn't lose
    anything. I would think it would be the same from beta to trial.

    BSchwarz, Jan 7, 2006

  3. The only 'good' option in this case, is to do a 'Repair Install'.
    If you boot from the Trial CD, and ask it to install, then the install
    routine is seing that 'other' Windows System and it will give you an option
    to repair it.This re-installs the complete system and leaves everything else
    alone.

    This is in fact what is happening when you use the upgrade method, you open
    the CD inside Windows and Windows then re-boots and effectuates the repair
    install behind the curtain. Just a bit more cumbersome.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 7, 2006
  4. Matthew, please do a clean install, since an upgrade scenario is not
    supported from the BETA version to the RTM. Unknown glitches can take place
    with drivers and software that will make difficult diagnose and determine
    problems if you encounter such issues after upgrading from BETA to RTM. Back
    any necessary data you might have on the BETA version do a clean install of
    XP RTM Trial.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 7, 2006
  5. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Andre is correct. Save your personal files, but do yourself a favour and do
    NOT do anything but a clean install.

    John Barnes, Jan 7, 2006
  6. Me too! I fully agree. I am sitting here, happily typing away at the
    specific keywords - Beta; Trial; Install; Upgrade - I am answering the
    question, this is how you do it, but do NOT do it!!!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 7, 2006
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    I am happy to do a clean install, but how do you back up your files if you
    can't get to a DOS prompt, or into the OS itself?

    TIA,Matthew.

    Guest, Jan 7, 2006
  8. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    As I said, I would install another drive and install the OS on it and then
    you can read the current file and copy any of the files you need. Drag and
    drop them if you want.
    You can get to a prompt with the Recovery Console on the install disk if you
    want to go that route. Just would seem very time consuming and I don't
    think you have write ability to a CD there anyway, but I don't know that.

    John Barnes, Jan 8, 2006