Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Guest, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    the computer i inherited has an illegal copy of xp pro. if i purchase a legal
    copy can i simply overwrite the existing copy without backing up my data? i
    obviously don't have the disk for the existing copy which upgrades seem to
    ask for. i think i am in a catch 22 situation. can anyone advise, please.
    Guest, Oct 20, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. Guest

    jedijee Guest

    Have you thought about using a key changer?

    You purchase your legal copy, then use the utility to change the illegal key
    to your legally owned one.

    If you feel uncomfortable about doing that, say, you still want the illegal
    copy completely removed, try deleting components of the current XP
    installation to free up disk space and delete all temp files. Run XP setup
    and see if it lets you upgrade (reinstall) with the available disk space.
    jedijee, Oct 20, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. Guest

    EggHead Guest

    If you mean stuff that inside the doc/settings folder, you better have a
    copy of them no matter what. The OS may writes them off when doing the
    repair. I learn it in the hard way.
    Do you mean you want to reg the legal copy of the xp?
    You should be able to get the illegal copy upgrade by using in the legal
    EggHead, Oct 20, 2005
  4. Thank you for changing your stance on the usage of unlicensed software.

    You are not eligible to use the "Upgrade" version to upgrade from an
    unlicensed version of Windows XP Professional because you have no license
    whatsoever. Microsoft recently changed OEM rules, however, so please contact
    an authorized reseller to obtain a _sealed_ OEM copy of Windows XP
    Professional. That will cost you roughly 50% of the retail price. It sounds
    like the system was custom-built, so technically you qualify as a system
    builder under this rule. This is a specific exception that was communicated
    to us from Microsoft.

    You can contact Microsoft at 800-RU-Legit for more information or check a
    site like pricewatch.com.

    Please note: this information applies to US. I am not aware of UK program
    Leonid S. Knyshov, Oct 20, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Tom,

    I am afraid you are getting some bad advice in this thread, so I am replying
    to your original post.

    You are not eligible for any sort of upgrade because you are not upgrading
    from a legitimate license. This has to be treated as a new install. You are
    also not eligible for an OEM license - that can only be purchased AT THE SAME
    TIME as a new computer from a LICENSED SYSTEM BUILDER. You have to buy a
    full retail version in the box.

    This will save you another hassle too... You cannot use an OEM CD to do an
    in-place upgrade. With a RETAIL CD you can install over the illegal copy and
    preserve all of your settings, programs, etc... Trying to do the same with
    an OEM CD will delete all of the files and settings, and though your programs
    and settings are not deleted they are essentially useless, as the OEM deletes
    the registry and starts from scratch.

    Good luck and good on you for going legit!

    Guest, Oct 20, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Jedijee,

    Key changers may be a neat real-world tool maily used by hackers, but they
    are nonetheless a hacker tool that are illegal for use. As well since he has
    to purchase a full retail copy anyhow, the in place install is not that time
    consuming and is the smartest way to go.

    Guest, Oct 21, 2005
  7. Guest

    EggHead Guest

    Unless he means XP 64bit, I think he means the service pack installation or
    he has put in the new h/w and need the CD for the driver.
    EggHead, Oct 21, 2005
  8. The rules were recently changed in August, at least for the US OEM

    According to https://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=555857

    If the pack is opened, the enclosed individual software license(s)
    must be distributed with a fully assembled computer system and
    must be preinstalled.

    The individual software license(s) inside the pack can no longer be
    distributed with a non-peripheral computer hardware component.
    With the new 1-pack, the unopened package can be distributed to another
    system builder by itself, without any hardware requirement.

    Is this still bad advice? I'd classify his as a custom-built system without
    OS, therefore he's a system builder who is refurbishing the system to as-new
    condition. Reason being is that if he had a direct OEM unit, such as a HP or
    Dell, he'd have a license sticker on the site of the box for possibly XP
    Home. That license would remain valid, and he'd be able to use any OEM
    restore CD to return to a licensed configuration.

    More questions are answered in

    You need to have access to Microsoft OEM website, which means being a member
    of the System Builder program, in order to verify my information.

    Part of my job is figuring out the best ways to accomodate customers with
    issues uncovered during license assessments, which can get extremely
    complicated if we are not doing an all-out hardware replacement. :)

    Again, this information is valid for US. I don't know whether these changes
    were made globally.
    Leonid S. Knyshov, Oct 21, 2005
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    thanks for all the advice. upgrading and key changing seems a little
    complicated as i'm not a whizz with computers. i think i'll just buy a legal
    copy direct from microsoft. i had seen some on e-bay but i'm a little wary.
    thanks again.
    Guest, Oct 22, 2005
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I would be wary of software licenses from unknown sources. When you buy them
    straight from Microsoft you know you are not going to get burned!

    I hope I was able to help!

    Guest, Oct 22, 2005
  11. Guest

    d Guest

    the computer i inherited has an illegal copy of xp pro. if i purchas
    a legal
    As previousley stated in this thread you can not obtain a copy of X
    PRO OEM as you are not installing it on a new computer. What
    advise you to do is purchase a retail box of WINXPPRO. From here yo
    will recieve your box, manuals, media and COA. Affix COA to computer
    You will then be able to change your license key on your curren
    version of Windows and updated with your newest legal key. Pleas
    search http://www.microsoft.com/technet for this procedure

    Have a great day, I am happy see you are concerned about thi
    situation, as you should be!

    d, Nov 27, 2005
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest


    if you have the genuine product key then you can visit the website
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668 and run the product key update
    tool that should help you in upgrading your computer to the genuine product
    key without even running the setup and there is not worries about data losss..

    Guest, Jul 26, 2006
  13. Guest

    Cerebrus Guest

    Just awesome !

    Checking the dates of this thread :

    Original Post : Oct 20 2005
    Thread resolved : Oct 22 2005
    Last Post : Nov 27 2005
    Support guy's response : Jul 26 2006

    Man! You must be a _real_ "support guy".
    Cerebrus, Jul 26, 2006
  14. Guest

    BD [MCNGP] Guest

    << While I was at work, Cerebrus spurted out:
    LMAO...I was wondering where that response came from.
    BD [MCNGP], Jul 26, 2006
  15. Guest

    Guest Guest

    some one else may find it handy if not tom.

    "Wiseman talk because they have some thing to say, Fools because they have
    to say something."
    Guest, Jul 26, 2006
  16. Guest

    BD [MCNGP] Guest

    << While I was at work, support guy. spurted out:
    You should learn from this, not just spit it out whenever you think it's

    Try finding a more current post to help someone out on.
    BD [MCNGP], Jul 26, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
There are no similar threads yet.