XP won't Auto Connect to my Wireless Modem/Router

Discussion in 'Wireless Networks' started by Kirby P, Jan 28, 2007.

  1. Kirby P

    Kirby P Guest

    Hi,

    I can't get XP to Auto Connect to my Wireless Router/Modem either at
    Start-Up or when starting either Explorer or MSN. At the moment, at start
    up, the Start Up bar icon indicates the computer connecting with the modem
    for a split second before indicating no connection.

    I've checked the 'Use windows to configure my network settings' box in
    Wireless connection properties. However, this box is always un-checked
    following a re-start. After re-start and upon viewing available wireless
    networks I'm told that windows isn't configured to take control of the
    network, I then have to check the 'Use windows to configure my network
    settings' and re-check the 'Use windows to configure my network settings' box.

    As soon I check this box, XP establishes a connection OK- But surely I
    shouldn't have to check this box after every start-up just to get XP to
    connect to my wireless network.

    (I've also checked, in Auto Connection - Whenever network is detected
    windows can connect to it automatically - Connect when network is in range).
    This remains checked even after power down, unlike the 'Use windows to
    configure my network settings' box.

    I've looked at my router 'Netgear' settings and don't see anything obvious
    wrong (firewall and WPA-PSK) enabled on router and computer.

    All is fine once connected it's just getting XP to connect automatically.

    Can anybody assist?

    Kirby P, Jan 28, 2007

  2. Hi
    In many cases when the Wireless is installed on a computer, it installs a
    Wireless utility provided by the manufacturer of the Wireless card. The
    Wireless cannot work correctly with two utilities tying to control it (the
    original and WZC).
    If this is the case on your computer, and you want to use Windows WZC you
    have to disable the original Wireless application.
    May be this can help too.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 28, 2007

  3. Kirby P

    Kirby P Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for the assistance, you were spot on. All sorted now.

    Kirby P, Jan 30, 2007
  4. Hi,

    I am searching for the same thing. There is a microsoft hotfix for this problem but I cant find it again. I know someone here must know about it. I will try my hardest to look for it on my data drive as my computer recently crashed due to power failure in my town.

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    Andre Stevens, Feb 2, 2007
  5. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357

    I think it is this one... I'll have to look some more. I'm not exactly 100% sure. I just did a quick search of my KB logs on my old hard drive. I moved my favorites to a differnet folder where i KNOW the link will be. I'll look tonight after work.

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    Andre Stevens, Feb 2, 2007
  6. Andre Stevens, Feb 2, 2007
  7. Hi,

    This is the correct one. I just verified with a buddy of mine. Please spread the word!

    Thanks,

    A. Stevens

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    Andre Stevens, Feb 2, 2007