Xp Want Startup need advice

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Alex, May 8, 2004.

  1. Alex

    Alex Guest

    I have two seperate issues. The first is I tried starting xp on my
    sons pc today and it gave a message. The message was "Not enough
    system resources to finish the API" It just stopped right on the login
    screen, and I couldn't go any further.

    He did tell me that Disc Cleanup kept warning him last night that he
    needed to free up more disc space that he was below 200mb. He only has
    a 4 gig in the pc but xp has been running great for over 6 months now.
    Is that all it needs is to be able to boot, for me to clean up some
    files? If so then how do I get booted up to do it or maybe a dos
    command.

    My second issue is on my machine. Each time I boot up once everything
    loads I have this Icon in the system tray (black with a red circle) It
    seems to be help and support cause whether I left click or right click
    it disappears and help and support opens up.

    I checked in startup using MSCONFIG and nothing there for help and
    support. The only thing different is I got a message when installing
    Direct cd a few days ago stating that a driver was disabled because it
    was not compatiable with XP. Every since then that darn help and
    support pops up. If you could help me with that as well I would
    greatly appreciate it.

    Both machines are running xp.

    Alex, May 8, 2004

  2. Alex

    philo Guest

    4 gigs is a bit small for an XP installation...
    as you see, it did not take too long to fill up the drive...
    you may want to try safe mode...
    otherwise you'll have to boot with the XP cd and try the repair console

    You may want to uninstall the app and get one that is compatible with XP

    philo, May 8, 2004

  3. Alex

    Ron Martell Guest

    Try booting the machine into Safe Mode and then cleaning up the hard
    drive so as to free up more space. Hard drives are cheaper than dirt
    these days so you should seriously consider getting a larger drive
    (good deals abound on 20 and 40 gb models, especially 5400 rpm ones).

    To start Windows XP in Safe Mode turn on the computer and start
    tapping the F8 key rapidly just as soon as the first information of
    any kind shows on the screen. Keep tapping rapidly until the Windows
    XP Startup Menu appears and choose Safe Mode from the menu.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, May 8, 2004
  4. Alex

    Alex Guest

    I appreciate your help alot. I got it into safe mode and deleted tons
    of junk. I got it booted up. Yeah, I've been looking into HD's and
    your right they are cheap. Gonna get one very soon. Thanks again for
    your help.

    Alex, May 9, 2004