XP to Win7 upgrade advice - thanks

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Apr 13, 2014.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Hi all...

    Just been asked by my sister to install Win 7 onto her (currently) XP
    computer. I've been using Ubuntu for years so I've no real sense of Win
    specs.

    Her computer is an old HP Compaq DX-6120. Has a P4-520 2.8 GHz with 3GB RAM.
    Just a home computer. Emails, surfing, the occasional doc. Maybe the
    occasional skype but no gaming/streaming etc.

    Will dual-boot Ubuntu 12.04

    I noted the HP support page only recommends XP and Vista for the DX-6120 but
    are those specs good enough for Win7 without the need for any hardware
    upgrades.

    And is 32-bit Win7 still for sale. All I can find on the MS Shop site is
    (obviously) Win8. There's heaps of Win7 on TradeMe but are they kosher

    Thanks
    Lodi

    Lodi, Apr 13, 2014

  2. Lodi

    Dave Doe Guest

    It'll run "fine" on that spec. It won't run "great" :) Hmmm... how to
    compare... it will be about 25% slower, all round, compared to Ubuntu
    12.04 - bit of a rough guess from me, but I think it'll be about right.
    (It's certainly enough RAM - a bit low on CPU, but nothing to worry
    about at all, given the type of usage you've indicated).
    (All in all, it'll run comparably, but will take longer to start up and
    shutdown. Some apps will run faster, but most won't :) )

    Windows 7 is still purchasable: $145 for W7 Home OEM, $207 for Pro, $298
    for Ultimate (about the same as W8 give or take a few). Prices may vary
    a few bucks :)

    The upgrade is best done with MS's "Easy Transfer Wizard" tool. It
    really is easy. (It's included w' W7 and on, but you'll need to
    download it for XP).

    Dave Doe, Apr 13, 2014

  3. Lodi

    Dave Doe Guest

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-
    easy-transfer

    For going to W7 only

    Dave Doe, Apr 13, 2014
  4. Lodi

    Your Name Guest

    Just continue using XP. It's going to work just as well as it always
    has and the anti-virus software companies will still be producing
    updates for a while yet.

    As for the mythical "flood of malware" waiting to be unleashed, it's
    the same utter bollocks as the "Y2K bug" causing worldwide choas ...
    and for largely the same reason: to scam money out of people.

    Your Name, Apr 13, 2014
  5. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Thanks for that Duncan. Pretty much what I wanted to know.

    I'll give the upgrade a go and then we'll take it from there. Famous last
    words :)

    Worse comes to worst I'll buy another mobo and cpu and bang Win7 on that.

    Where did you get those prices from. I'm guessing I can't wander in to my
    local Dick Smith and buy a Win7 Install CD

    Thanks
    Lodi

    Lodi, Apr 13, 2014
  6. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Hi...

    Thanks for that. Scam or no scam the reality is my sister is on the phone to
    me wanting "something done". Not going to get dropped from her Christmas
    card list if I can help it.

    The annoying thing is that a while back I set her computer up to dual boot
    to Ubuntu 10.04. More than adequate for what she does but you try telling
    her that.

    Horse + water != drink

    Lodi

    Lodi, Apr 13, 2014
  7. Lodi

    Possible Guest

    Just leave it as it is don't take any notice of MS Hypes at all, plus it
    a bit old to run Windows 7 and a lot of XP software will not run on
    Windows 7 plus NO Windows 7 hardware drivers.

    Plus you cant upgrade from XP to Windows 7 , Windows 7 is a clean
    install so all the XP app's have to be installed again..

    Possible, Apr 13, 2014
  8. Lodi

    Possible Guest

    I could not agree more, MS up to its dirty tricks again..

    Possible, Apr 13, 2014

  9. Don't forget if you go the W7 way and wish to use Virtual XP mode you do
    need the correct CPU to do that..

    Frank Williams, Apr 13, 2014
  10. Lodi

    Possible Guest

    Possible, Apr 13, 2014
  11. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Hi again...

    I was planning on doing a clean install anyhow so that's not a problem.

    Sort of remember having to look for drivers when upgrading MS so I'm
    guessing that if I have any problems it will be driver-related. But nothing
    that can't be beaten into submission with duct tape and a hammer :)

    Lodi

    Lodi, Apr 14, 2014
  12. Lodi

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Apr 14, 2014
  13. Lodi

    Your Name Guest

    <snip>

    Yep, that's the other half of the money-grubbing scam. Once you upgrade
    OS or buy a new computer, you then have to upgrade your software and
    other hardware because both sides stopped bothering to make the old
    stuff work with the new OS. :-\

    The same happens vice versa ... if your printer breaks and you have to
    buy a new one, then (if you've had it a while) you're likely going to
    have to upgrade the OS / computer as well. This happened with my Mac
    when the old Epson inkjet finally gave up working. I bought a "new"
    (last of an old model) HP printer which doesn't work with the OS I'm
    stuck using ... thankfully a bit of hacking and I got the printer
    working, but the scanner part doesn't (I'll have to plug it into the
    laptop to do scans).

    Your Name, Apr 14, 2014
  14. Lodi

    Dave Doe Guest

    Those pricing are from Tastech, but you may finder sharper pricing and
    the product at your town at Pricespy.

    Dave Doe, Apr 14, 2014
  15. Lodi

    Gordon Guest

    Ms Peguin here. Get the chalk.

    The boot is on the other foot.

    Why 7, 8.1 is the rage, along with Clasic shell add on.

    Gordon, Apr 21, 2014

  16. No one wants 8.1 Lemon its a dead duck..

    Frank Williams, Apr 21, 2014